System Center Configuration Manager 2012 Test Lab Guide published!

Microsoft Support Escalation Engineer Kevin McKinnerney has published the Test Lab Guide: System Center 2012 Configuration Manager. This new TLG uses the Base Configuration and SQL Server 2008 R2 TLGs to create a System Center 2012 Configuration Manager test lab, which includes stepping you through deploying an initial Configuration Manager client to CLIENT1.

Here is the lab configuration:

This test lab includes SQL Server 2008 R2 installed on APP1 and an additional server, CM1, the Configuration Manager 2012 server.

Thanks to Kevin, who is on a real TLG spree (see his Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 stack)!

As always, enjoy!

Joe Davies
Principal Writer

Hello,

Thank you for this guide, it really helped me, one question, what is this stencil that is used in the above diagram?

Stoffel,

Thanks for the comment.  I have seen the SQL collation issue in the past but I did not encounter it when going through my installs while building this guide.  I will have to do a new build and see if it appears.  If it does I will look at adding additional steps to circumvent it.

A good question about using APP1 for the WSUS DB.  I tend to use the internal db with WSUS for test labs just to remove a layer of complexity and reduce load on the SQL server.  In a production environment I am sure you would want to use a full SQL server instance for WSUS.

3. Stoffel says:

GREAT TLG, I would strongly recommend it!

I had some minor issues during the configuration though. The hardest one was that I didn't have the right "collation" settings for my SQL server, but I managed to fix that one using this article – msdn.microsoft.com/…/ms179254.aspx

One question remains unanswered to me : is there a specific reason why you didn't use APP1 for the WSUS DB, but chose the "Use Windows Internal Database" option during WSUS setup?

Thanks !

4. Mohamed Shehata says:

Hello,

m.shehata@outlook.com

5. Majid says:

Help Pls.
    I used this document and i have a problem!
    In step7: Install System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, After section19 i have got a error message:
    I do every things in this document until now. only i used SCCM2012 sp1 insted of SCCM2012.
    Please Help me.
    Thanks.

6. Majid says:

Help Pls.
    I used this document and i have a problem!

Please Help me.
    Thanks.

7. Majid says:

Help Pls.
    I used this document and i have a problem!
    “””””””””” The Network Path Was not Founf”””””””””””””””””””
    Please Help me.