A great blog to help you figure out what you need, and to compare Server Core and Server with Desktop Experience as we prepare for the upcoming release of both.
Reference: “Server Core and Server with Desktop: Which one is best for you” - https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2018/07/05/server-core-and-server-with-desktop-which-one-is-best-for-you/
Links in the Blog:
- March 20th post for Windows Server 2019 - https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2018/03/20/introducing-windows-server-2019-now-available-in-preview/
- “What is the Server Core installation option in Windows Server?” - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/server-core/what-is-server-core
- Get Windows Admin Center - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/manage/windows-admin-center/understand/windows-admin-center
- Become a Windows Server Insider and get the Server Core App Compatibility Feature on Demand - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Server-Insiders/bd-p/WindowsServerInsiders
- Disable Services in Windows Server - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/security/windows-services/security-guidelines-for-disabling-system-services-in-windows-server
- Get the Windows 10 SDK - https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk
“What is the Server Core installation option in Windows Server?” has a great list comparing application availability between Server Core and Server with Desktop Experience. Check it out!