- Use read-only replicas to load balance read-only query workloads (preview)
- Read Scale-Out allows you to load balance Azure SQL Database read-only workloads using the capacity of read-only replicas.
- SQL Database: Long-term backup retention preview includes major updates
- More regional support – Long-term retention will be supported in all Azure regions and national clouds.
- More flexible backup policies – You can customize the frequency of long-term backups for each database with policies covering weekly, monthly, yearly, and specific week-within-a-year backups.
- Management of individual backups – You can delete backups that are not critical for compliance.
- Streamlined configuration – No need to provision a separate backup service vault.
- A flexible new way to purchase Azure SQL Database
We’re excited to announce the preview of an additional purchasing model to the Azure SQL Database Elastic Pool and Single Database deployment options. Recently announced with SQL Database Managed Instance, the vCore-based model reflects our commitment to customer choice by providing flexibility, control, and transparency. As with Managed Instance, the vCore-based model makes the Elastic Pool and Single Database options eligible for up to 30 percent savings* with the Azure Hybrid Benefit for SQL Server.