In yesterday’s tip, I talked about Generation 2 VMs and how many emulated devices were being removed.? At the top of the list was ‘BIOS’.? In Generation 2 VMs, the BIOS has been replaced with virtualized firmware.
- Required to virtualize ‘boot to GPT’
- Replaces vBIOS
- Allows for synthetic booting (either network or storage)
- Required for secure boot and measured boot in a virtualized environment
- Available in Generation 2 VMs only
- Removes the need to add a legacy NIC just to be able to PXE boot
- Improves VM startup time