Today’s (Cloud) Tip…Hybrid Search In SharePoint Online
Customer will always take a phased approach to move their On-premise infrastructure to cloud . A mix of some cloud and some on-premises solutions will always co-exist. For end users it becomes extremely difficult to track down what document resides where i.e. which document resides in On-premise Sharepoint farm and which document resides in Online SharePoint farm. Sharepoint online now provides the ability to configure Hybrid Search which when set up enables seamless security trimmed search results irrespective of wherever the user is searching from.
Hybrid search configuration is required at both ends SharePoint Online and SharePoint On-Premise
SharePoint Server 2013 Including Search Result from SharePoint Online
SharePoint Server 2013 Standard or Enterprise CAL. The following services must be enabled and configured in the On-Premise SharePoint farm to support hybrid functionality:
- User Profile Service
- App Management Service
- Subscription Settings Service:
- Search Service Application
Office 365 Enterprise or E1 (Search only) or E3 or E4 plans.
Certificate deployed to SharePoint Server 2013 STS (Self-Signed or Public).
Configuration of Windows Azure ACS for Server-to-Server authentication.
Single sign-on configured for Office 365 which includes:
- ADFS v2 and DirSync components installed in the on-premise network
- Directory synchronization configured for Office 365
Public Domain Name System (DNS) domain configured as federated domain
SharePoint Online Including Search Result from SharePoint Server 2013
- All requirements from “SharePoint Server 2013 including search result from SharePoint Online”
- Reverse Proxy (TMG or F5) allowing certificate authentication
- An X.509 wildcard or SAN certificate issued by a public root authority(no Self-Signed certificates)
- Configure the Secure Store Service on SharePoint Online