Storage Spaces and Pools (SSP) refer to the units of storage that are carved out of a pool by two different names.
- Storage Space – Term used by the client versions of Windows
- Virtual Disk – Term used by the server versions of Windows
They are the same thing. The terms are interchangeable. Although, it is confusing in that people tend to equate ‘virtual disk’ with VHD. Be careful when using these terms.
- Pool – A collection of disks
- Space/Virtual Disk – A logical disk that is carved out of a pool
- VHD/VHDx – A virtual hard drive file (nothing to do with SSP)