“Do you want to download the converter?” when you try to open a file in Excel, Word or PowerPoint KB Article

Hello, this is Laura from the content team from Microsoft. We are seeing a lot of traffic to this KB article, Error message "Do you want to download the converter?" when you try to open a file in Excel, Word or PowerPoint https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/967950

I can’t figure out why this article is getting so many hits, or what type of content that you are searching for. This is where I need your help, if this article didn’t fix your issue, please answer the following questions, and post your answers here.

Note: Your information will not be posted publicly and it will help us get the correct content or fix to help resolve the issues you are running into.

1.What version of Office Application are you using?

If unsure how to know what version of Office follow,  the steps in this article, What version of Office am I using?

2. What version of Windows  are you using?

If unsure how to know what version of Windows follow the steps in this article, Which Windows operating system am I running?

3. What type of file are you trying to open?

4. What error message do you get when attempting to open the file? (Please record the exact error message)

5. Are you trying to open a file sent to you in email? (examples: open an attachment, double clicking on a file while in your email client.

6. Are you trying to open a file from a Cloud location?  (example: OneDrive, DropBox, GoogleDrive, iCloud)

7. Any other information that you can provide that you feel would be beneficial.

Thanks for helping me collect this information!

1. kanamitsu setuso says:

Excelが開けない。

2. Sinead says:

Hi I am using office 2007 and have the following error message – This file cannot be opened by using Microsoft Powerpoint. Do you want to search the Microsoft Office Online Web site for a converter that can open the file?

3. Will King says:

We use electronic signature features of Office a lot in our company as part of our document management. Recently one of our employees upgraded to Office 2016, while the rest of us remain on Office 2010. Signatures work just fine in Word. But in Excel we are having problems. If a .xlsx file is signed first by the employee with Office 2016, no problem. If the .xlsx file is signed first by an employee with Office 2010, then the employee with Office 2016 is unable to sign the document. We tried doing a Save As… and changing the file type to .xlsx – Strict Open from within Office 2016. But then we came up against the “Do you want to download the converter?” error message. We downloaded the converter, and now a Strict Open .xlsx (saved first by Office 2016, since Office 2010 can’t do that even with the converter) file can be signed by anyone; but the Office 2010 signatures become invalid after an Office 2016 signature. And there is no way to save template files (.xltx) as Strict Open.

4. RUTH WANJIKU NJUGUNA says:

How to convert my office suite to word offfice

5. I am using Microsoft Office 2007 in Windows7 I am trying to open an excel document (.xlsx) which I have down loaded from my email. The messages I am getting are:
    “Excel found unreadable content in ‘******.xlsx’ Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook?”
    I clicked yes to this, then
    “This file cannot be opened by using Microsoft Excel. Do you want to search the Microsoft Office Web Site for a converter that can open the file”
    I also clicked yes to this however The converter Windows is suggesting is ImpConv_32bit.exe this is only compatable with win10.
    Can you help?

6. Word or Excel fails to open everytime, and when they do they to save their files.
    Application Error for Excel.
    The Exception unknown software exception ( 0xE0000002 ) Occurred in the application at location 0x0000000075B3B782.

7. When they fail they hangup or stop responding.

8. Ian says:

1. Running MS Office 2010
    2. Win7 Pro
    3. pptx
    4. PowerPoint found a problem with content in [filename.pptx]. PowerPoint can attempt to repair the presentation.
    Then, after clicking Repair, There was an error accessing: [file location].
    5. Yes, opening an email attachment.
    7. After downloading the OOXML Strict Converter for Office 2010, I get the error “This package requires MS Office2010”, even though I have Office2010 installed on the machine. The installer then finishes out without doing anything.

9. Chris Day says:

File is from a motherboard failure and has been recovered to my remote hard drive. Still cannot open it – important file with non backed up data

10. Sonja Wilker says:

I am running Windows 10, 64 bit, I downloaded IMPCONV-64bit.exe but when I tried to use it, it said it requires windows 10… It started out when I tried to look at a powerpoint file…. it gave the following messages…..
    Powerpoint found unreadable content in filename.pptx. do you want to recover the contents of this presentation? If you trust the source of this presentation, click yes.
    I clicked yes then … I got the following messages…
    this file cannot be opened by using Microsoft Office Powerpoint. do you want to search the microsoft online website for a converter for this file?
    I got to OOXML Strict Converter for Office 2010 and downloaded the 64 bit version.
    when I tried to execute the file, it says it requires Windows 10