PowerPivot for Excel 2013 errors after October update KB 2825655

(Updated Dec 2013)

After installing the October 2013 update (KB 2825655) for Excel 2013,  PowerPivot is unable to be used.

Examples of errors you will receive when trying to work within existing PowerPivot workbooks or launching the PowerPivot Window to create a new one are below.

"We couldn't get data from the Data Model. Here's the error message we got: Invalid pointer array"

"PowerPivot is unable to load the Data Model"

At this time, the only resolution to this issue is to uninstall update KB 2825655    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2825655/EN-US

Microsoft is working on a resolution. Watch the blog for updates on when a fix is available for this issue.

*** UPDATE : Hotfix Available ***

To resolve this issue, you can request a hotfix from the link below.

1. Morten Loegager says:

Still valid to use the fix from MS,
    http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=2837666&kbln=en-us, as I was experiencing same issue on my 2013 installation

2. FryHard says:

Uninstalling KB 2752087 fixed the problem for me. Thanks @John.

3. stan2002 says:

I get this when I try to use Powerpivot in Excel 2013 –
    "We couldn’t get data from the Data Model. Here’s the error message we got:
    The type initializer for ‘Microsoft.Analysis.Services.XmlaClient’ threw an exception.
    Configuration system failed to initialize.
    Root element is missing. (CWindowsMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv4.0.30319configmachineconfig)
    Root element is missing."
    When I close this error another appears with a details button, when clicked shows:
    Error Message:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Call Stack:

at Microsoft.Office.PowerPivot.ExcelAddIn.InProcServer.CannotUpgrade(GeminiWorkbook geminiWb, WorkbookConnection wbConn, String& message)
    at Microsoft.Office.PowerPivot.ExcelAddIn.InProcServer.LoadSandboxAfterConnection(String errorCache)
    at Microsoft.Office.PowerPivot.ExcelAddIn.InProcServer.LoadSafeSandboxAfterConnection(String errorCache)
    at Microsoft.Office.PowerPivot.ExcelAddIn.InProcServer.LoadOLEDBConnection(Boolean raiseCompleteEvent, String errorCache)

Nobody seems to know how to fix this or shed any light on it

4. Ed (DareDevil57) says:

5. Bjarni Olsen says:

I am in the middel of a major task involving the use of powerpivot 2013, but suddenly I get the messaget Invalid Pointer Array. Power Pivot is unabel to load the Data Model.

Please help me 🙂

6. adam says:

Bjarni – I had the same problem today. Did you by chance install the most recent windows update? It seems like that is the problem. I used system restore to go back before installing the update and I am able to use PowerPivot again.

7. John says:

Had the same problem unistalled update KB 2752087 and PowerPivot is working

8. Sofia Wallius says:

I had the same problem this afternoon and solved it a few minutes ago by installing the latest windows update (from today).

PowerView – We couldn’t get data from the Data Model. Here’s the error message we got: Invalid pointer array

10. Ferran says:

Same problem. I uninstalled KB 2752087 but the problem is not fixed.

11. paula says:

I have requested this hotfix but then the link given to me returns
    “The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.”

12. An says:

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=2837666&kbln=en-us fixed the Invalid Pointer Array, but now I’m receiving this error: OLD DB or ODBC error: XML parsing failed at line 1, column 9: DTD is prohibited. Anyone else getting this error?

13. Supraja says:

In excel 2010 while ia m creating power pivot chart i am getting error which is shown below

"The command was canceled.Please press F1 to get help on topic "Excel Window:Power pivot Field list" for more details.

When i am clicking on pivot chart the above error is pooping up but i am able to create pivot table.

Could anyone please help me on this.

14. Byron Injeeli says:

these errors are unbelievable! what’s wrong with excel! please post if someone finds a solution.
    — Byron Injeeli