We want to bring an emerging issue to your attention. We have found that in certain circumstances, Excel will crash when you type data into a cell and press <Enter>. The same crash may occur when you select data and click the Quick Analysis button. We are currently investigating the issue, but it has been confirmed to be related to Flash Fill and Quick Analysis, and it only occurs in 32-bit Excel. It most often occurs when data has been imported from OLAP data sources, and copied to a new location. If you look at the crash report, the crash application will be Excel.exe, and the Module will be listed as ntdll.dll.
We have a couple of workarounds:
- Click on File --> Options --> Advanced.
- In the Editing Options section, clear the checkbox for Automatically Flash Fill.
- Click on the General tab.
- Clear Show Quick Analysis options on selection.
- In your Data tab, click Connections.
- Click the Properties... button.
- Clear the checkboxes under OLAP Server Formatting.
- Import your data.
Either of these should temporarily resolve the issue. We will update this blog as new information becomes available. If this blog helps you resolve crashes in Excel, please leave a comment.