Written by Amber Mertes
Internet Explorer 9 provides additional security that limits the functionality of the ‘Export to Microsoft Excel’ option within an Internet Explorer web page. This was a security design improvement to Internet Explorer
Steps to reproduce the issue:
1. Open Internet Explorer 9
2. Open any web page, for example: http://www.msn.com
3. Right click into the page and choose “Export to Microsoft Excel”
4. Excel will open and a window “new web query”
5. In the address bar you will see “http:///” and the internet site will not be shown and an error is returned. The error displayed is:
Copy and paste the URL from IE9 in to the Excel web query dialog where http:/// is located.
We have also had reports of this option to ‘Export to Microsoft Excel’ not being available upon right clicking.
If this occurs, follow these steps:
** Important This article
contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
- Start > Open > Regedit
- Browse to: HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt
- Right click on MenuExt > New > Key: Export to Microsoft Excel
- Right click on the ‘Default’ string value > Modify > Value Data: res://C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE/3000
Where drive is the letter of the drive where Excel is installed and where path is the complete path of the Excel.exe file.
826917 Nothing happens when you try to use the “Export to Microsoft Excel” command in Internet Explorer
This was addressed in Office 2013. The Excel 2013 web query dialog now works as expected with the new security introduced in Internet Explorer 9.