This problem isn't a common one, but it is still worth mentioning as there could be other symptoms manifested for this problem. The issue occurs when you try to save or close an Excel file. Excel may become unresponsive or simply hang, requiring you to enter the Task Manager and kill the process.
This problem can occur if you have a bad printer installation. Excel apparently checks the default printer driver when doing a save or close of a workbook. When you try to change the default printer, remove the printer or reinstall it you may encounter difficulties such as an Access Denied error. To resolve the problem, do the following:
1. From the Control Panel go to Programs and Features. Some printers will be listed in here. If yours is listed, right click it and left click on Uninstall.
If the printer isn’t listed, do the following:
2. Click the Windows START button. Click Devices and Printers.
3. What comes up is a list of printers under the ‘Printers and Faxes’. Find the problem printer in the list.
4. Right click on the printer and left click 'Remove Device'. This should uninstall the printer for you. If the printer is still listed, you may have to do it manually:
5. Right click on the printer and left click Printer Properties. Find the ‘Drivers’ tab.
6. Shown is a list of drivers. These driver DLLs would need to be deleted from the machine. Some of them may exist under System32. I would recommend renaming these to the .OLD file extension instead of deleting them.
7. If removing anything from under System32, a reboot of the machine may be necessary.