Right clicking Excel icon in the task bar no longer shows recent files

If you’re like me, you’ve got your Excel 2007 or 2010 icon pinned to the Windows 7 task bar. It’s no secret that when you right click the icon you are able to left click on any of the recent or frequent files that appear. But what happens when this right click functionality stops working? What do you do when you right click the Excel icon in the task bar and don’t get a list of recent files?

Fear not, for here is the answer:

1. Click START, and in the RUN command line enter the following:

%AppData%\Microsoft]Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

2. Find the following entry and delete it:

9839aec31243a928.automaticDestinations-ms

3. Close the page.

No when you right click the Excel icon in the task menu you should see a list of your recent items the way you used to!

Doesn’t seem to work with Office 2013. You need to fix your typo. It’s not %AppData%Microsoft]WindowsRecentAutomaticDestinations but %AppData%MicrosoftWindowsRecentAutomaticDestinations. But even when I replace the ] with it still doesn’t work. Recent documents still never show up on the task bar with Office 2013, at least for me.

2. akhwaja007 says:

@ SAMPATHKUMAR 12 Apr 2014 5:06 AM #
    Sir,
    am not able to found the folder %AppData%Microsoft/Windows. a icon recent items is displaying & not able to found the folder as AutomaticDestinations. pl help me.
    ***********************************************************************************************************************
    your command line has an error, please change it to BackSlash (); so, it should be ‘%AppData%MicrosoftWindowsRecentAutomaticDestinations’.

3. Hazman says:

Awsome detective work. Helps a lot!

4. Bazala says:

At first I could not find the file so desperate measures drove me to remopve all the files and tested okay after a while of trial and errors, Thanks a mil

5. Erlangerboys says:

Unable to fine the file you refer to in  Windows 7 Home Premium

6. Elaine says:

Will it be the same to restore Word list rather than Excel?

7. nick says:

On Win7 Premium 64-bit I found the file name would have a prefix of 75d01b5b7df0d177.

8. dogbert says:

Thanks it works!

Note that there's a typo in the link:

%AppData%Microsoft]WindowsRecentAutomaticDestinations

It should be:

%AppData%MicrosoftWindowsRecentAutomaticDestinations

9. Riyas says:

%AppData%MicrosoftWindowsRecentAutomaticDestinations

Try this..

10. huntermc says:

Thanks! I didn't find the specified file, so I moved all of the files out of the folder. After opening a random document in Excel, it created two new files – 6e855c85de07bc6a.automaticDestinations-ms and 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms. Then I just moved all of the other files back into the folder except for the old versions of those two.

Thanks again, I'm glad I didn't have to reinstall Excel!

11. Hussain says:

Great it really works   Thanks a lotsssssss

And yes there is an Typo error it should be

%AppData%MicrosoftWindowsRecentAutomaticDestinations

12. Peter-DBA says:

huntermc is right… cut out all files to a new folder, open Excel and close…

I got 2 new files in the folder… and copied all the rest right back, choosing to not replace the 2 new files…

the actual name of the file is different for everyone(?)  and nothing in the file that I could read with notepad to identify which file is for which app…

obviously there is a link somewhere.

thanks!

1. Hariharan says:

It works out… thanks…

13. Dhiraj Mhatre says:

Great….Thanks for this resolution…..It's help me alot…..Thanks

14. munir Jahanyar says:

this is really amazing, i did it by your help thanks a lot.

15. Christian says:

Great advise! It work. Only the path for the RUN command has a typo.

16. Peter J says:

Worked for me with Excel 2010 with the typo corrected in the to-be-removed file name

17. R Khan says:

Thanks, I m using Windows 7 Ultimate, but cant find 9839aec31243a928.automaticDestinations-ms in Recent Folder, Plz guide

18. Reply To R Khan: says:

As hunterm suggested, move all of the files out of the folder below into a “NEW FOLDER”: %AppData%MicrosoftWindowsRecentAutomaticDestinations

Open and then close a random document in Excel and return to the “AutomaticDestinations” folder above. The “AutomaticDestinations” folder above will now have either 1 or 2 new files. Then move all of the original files back into the “AutomaticDestinations” folder except for the old versions.

If all else fails, pinning a document manually to the taskbar icon might “unclog” the jump list

19. Catherine says:

Thanks! Fixed both Excel and Word 2007 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit for me.

20. rhiz says:

tnx..it works

21. SAMPATHKUMAR says:

Sir,

22. le Seb says:

This does not solve the issue for Office 2013 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

23. RosW says:

My recent files appear in Word and other programs but not Excel 2010. In Excel 2010 all I had was a prior list of old files that would not be updated. I followed your instructions (after correcting the typo), deleted said file, and now I receive no old files when I right click on the Excel 2010 icon.
    Interestingly enough, I also tried to pin an excel file to my taskbar and it opens up in Excel 2003! Recent file history for Excel 2003 shows all of the files I have recently been working in within Excel 2010 – i.e. I have a recent file listing which opens files in 2003 but not working in 2010.
    Any thoughts?

24. Matt says:

you need to change your link to %AppData%MicrosoftWindowsRecentAutomaticDestinations from %AppData%Microsoft]WindowsRecentAutomaticDestinations (changed the } to an

25. Paulos says:

There is a typo change the closing bracket to a backslash and it works. thx

26. Lauren says:

Sadly, this did not work for me.

27. JY says:

Genius! thx

28. Satya says:

Thanks, its working OK

29. JHALL says:

so I did this and it also deleted my pinned docs…I am now freaking out. Please help!!!!!!!

30. Benoist says:

There is a mistake in the link : %AppData%Microsoft]WindowsRecentAutomaticDestinations.
    Please replace with a backslash just avec Windows.
    Regards,

31. Doug Becker says:

I have found that if you right click on that file and choose to restore from a previous version (as long as you choose a date before the problem started, you will get them back very quickly.

32. Beverly Stafford says:

Thanks to all of you who corrected the typo.

33. Ragavendra says:

Great, its working. Try with the following in command line:
    %AppData%MicrosoftWindowsRecentAutomaticDestinations

34. dexter says:

Just wow. I cannot believe the hoops that Microsoft make users jump through to make the OS function at a basic level function. As a user this is completely unacceptable.

35. Lawrence says:

Works for Word, PowerPoint and Access, but not Excel 2010. Grrr. W7 Home ?? 64-bit.

36. Fara says:

I want to pin file excel files in start up menu which is not happening. Earlier it use to happen but now for some unknown reasons it has stopped. Windows 7 Ultimate. Help :-/

37. CDM says:

Thanks for the post. With the correction suggested by #dogbert#, it still works!!!

I was stuck for 2 years with this problem, until finally I found this using a very long search phrase on Google.

38. Hariharan says:

This is really helpful.. thanks i got resolved…