Access web apps to be retired

It was announced this week that Access Services is going to be retired.

Details of the announcement may be found here:  Updating the Access Services in SharePoint Roadmap
Additional timeline information along with possible methods for exporting your data out of an Access web app may be found here: Access web apps no longer supported

While these articles discuss Access web apps that are provided with Access Services 2013/2016, this retirement also affects Access Web Databases provided with Access Services 2010.

In the coming months, we intend to share any tips/tricks/gotchas discovered while assisting customers through this time of transition exporting their data and finding replacement solutions.

1. Patrick says:

Access Web Apps was the only mechanism to load large datasets into SharePoint Online. I am extremely disappointed. I know several customers that will be severly impacted by this change.

2. Anderson says:

Why????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

3. Karen says:

This is most frustrating and disappointing!!! I have two AWAs in production that are working perfectly. Now I have to re-write 150 very customized forms? Not to mention all the macros and queries that make the apps work!!!!

1. Karen says:

P.s. these were both online!

4. E Wills says:

I noticed Microsoft recommends we switch from Access Web Apps to Microsoft PowerApps. Can anyone tell me what the PowerApps learning curve is like? Do I have time to learn PowerApps before Microsoft discontinues it? Because spending time learning technologies that will soon be taken from me helps to feed my masochistic tendencies. Cheers.

5. Dissappointed Innovater says:

in a large organization, there is a line where costs become a factor. when “IT” people need to build your business unit something, it becomes a question of resources and costs, peoples time etc. this solution allowed us to “feed ourselves” with a database , web forms, and odbc connections to our data in multiple data visualization formats without having to consume the knowledge of development work or incur charges related to IT build out and administration. I am very sorry to see this product going away. I have been told that PowerApps is a substitute… I will be researching that.

6. This is very disappointing for users who are developing their own custom web apps to suit their business needs. Powerapps is not stable unlike Access, techs are not able to get the proper answer due to lack of knowledge or training. There is no announcement for On-Prem deprecation but small and mid-size business are impacted mostly because they cant afford On-Prem Server which requires SharePoint 2016 Enterprise edition with SQL Server 2016 Enterprise editions. Moving data to SharePoint list is not the solution to the problem. We came across few disappointed customer and we got them moving by migrating there existing AWA to our multi-tenant SharePoint 2016 Enterprise platform with minimum or zero data-loss. It’s a relatively simple migration process if done right. You need to backup your existing AWA as app package and upload to our environment. So far we have successfully migrated customer data along with Macros, custom views and Forms. We have migrated multi language AWA from different part of the world.

Regards,
    Apps4Rent-Guru

7. Anita A De Lois says:

EXCEL is not good enough to replace ACCESS. Why was this done and why was WINDOWS/MICROSOFT no longer pre-installed in new computers?

8. Angelo Quaglia says:

Exporting Access tables to sharepoint lists is very slow because it seems to be uploading row by row.
    Can’t you optimize that a bit?

9. Matthew says:

Tutorials are pointing me towards Power Apps as a replacement but they seem to be more geared towards mobile and simple surveys. It seems drastically under powered compared to WebApps, unless I am missing something? Will I be able to update/download a spreadsheet from a Power App?

1. Adam P says:

Did you ever get an answer Matt? I’m curious about this too. Although I’ll be trying to recommend we move off Microsoft’s platform altogether, at the very least for a web database tool

10. Mohsin says:

Hi, I am using SharePoint as backend to MS-Access desktop application and we simply love this feature to Sync changes back to server if reconnect, also the ability to work simultaneous users on the database at the same time from different location. Does this announcement affect us in any way? I hope the following screenshot (https://goo.gl/uFmz3A) helps, please advise!

1. Reviewing your screenshot it appears you are using an Access Web Database. Access Web Databases use Access Services 2010 which are also being retired.

11. Richard Robinson says:

Although it took a bit of getting used to, this was a great move forward for Access in the cloud. I have worked with companies which are removing their file servers to rely on sharepoint. The web app allowed sharing of databases in the back end without all the complication and overhead (and cost) of firing up an SQL Server instance. I’m disappointed to say the least that this function will be removed.

12. Ryan says:

I can’t begin to express my frustration with this decision. I looked into Power Apps, and they are worthless. I don’t need a phone app, I need an online database tool for my team to utilize. Thanks for nothing Microsoft.

13. Larry Kiang says:

I am currently having difficulty with this transition. I attempted the sharepoint list approach and now have difficulty with lookups to calculated fields and limitations to the amount in the list (over 5000 items). Is the best approach to go through SQL and abandon the sharepoint list approach?

14. Dhruva Parekh says:

Hi Dennis ! I have been using Access Databases hosted on sharepoint since 2011. I used to previously host my database onto my intranet and now we used to host it on the Sharepoint 2013. Wanted to know if this service is also retiring. Attaching the link to the screenshot (http://bit.ly/2ukAvfW). Because I have a very mid-size database which 5-7 people keep editing and viewing all the time. So its very essential if the service is going to be shut down i need to move to another solution quickly. Thanks.

I also have an Access Web App build in Access 2013, I am sure thats shutting down for sure so already thinking of another solution.

1. Hi Dhruva,

I’m unable to view your screenshot to understand your other use case of Access on SharePoint. If you are using SharePoint to store your database file in a document library, that will continue to function. However, if you are using either version of Access Services (Access Web Database or Access web app), those will not function as part of this retirement.

Dennis

1. Dhruva Parekh says:

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the kind response. You will now be able to see the screen shot. Sorry some permissions settings issue.

What about the database working on my sharepoint intranet ? Should work as a web database on the intranet right ?

I use my database as a Access Web Database on Sharepoint Online.

So now hoping if it works on intranet I will host the database on the intranet again.

1. Hi Dhruva,

I was able to view your screenshot now and indeed can see you are using an Access Web Database which relies on Access Services 2010 so this will be retired from SharePoint Online. You are certainly able to make an unpublished copy of the Web Database by choosing File > Save Database As > Save as Local Database. After doing so, you can publish the Web Database to your on-premise SharePoint environment.

Dennis

15. Devin says:

This is ridiculous! I’ve spent years convincing several organizations that I consult for to move their Access databases into SharePoint. Now you’re telling me I have to go back and tell them “sorry, its all for not.” Come on Microsoft, what are you thinking?!?!?!

16. Dirk says:

Are there any plans to include some kind of a frontend creation into the exporting process?
    I tested the export the AWA offers, but from my point of view the only thing it does is to export the table data into SharePoint lists.
    In my case the AWA included a macro which allowed the users to copy entries which only vary in some fields. What about the functionality the macro offered? It is also not included in the exporting process.
    I also did some tests with PowerApps and found it very helpful to use it to collect form data. But for me it lacks at the integration into sharepoint. It is still missing some webpart which allows to embed the PowerApp into a page which would be helpful to have an consistent UX without redirecting the user to a different application which simulates some mobile device…

1. Hi Dirk,

There isn’t a great method to retrieve macros from the app outside of navigating each object and using copy/paste.

Regarding SharePoint integration for PowerApps, this appears to be a focus of the PowerApps team as noted in their blog update PowerApps Q2 update: the ‘power user’s dream’ that is transforming business processes across industries

If you have further suggestions for PowerApps, I’d post them on their UserVoice page.