The Office 2010 Language Interface Pack for Tamil (?????) is now available for free download!
A Language Interface Pack allows you to change the user interface in the following Office 2010 applications: Excel, OneNote, InfoPath, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word. The pack includes a spell checker and is available for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
A FEW FACTS ABOUT TAMIL:
- Tamil is the official language in the southeastern Indian state of Tamil Nadu and also in Sri Lanka and Singapore. It is constitutionally recognized in India and South Africa. Most of its 70 million speakers live in Tamil Nadu (around 50 million) and the neighboring states and in northern and northeastern Sri Lanka (4 million), but there are also significant communities of speakers in Singapore, Malaysia, Mauritius, and South Africa.
- A purist movement in the 19th and 20th centuries cleaned the Tamil vocabulary from many Sanskrit loan words which can still be found in many other related languages.
- Tamil loanwords in the English language include catamaran (from ?????????, bundled logs), curry (from ???, sauce) and pariah (from ??????, plural of ??????, outcast).
- Tamil was classified as the first "classical language" after the creation of this category by the government of India in 2004. One of the criteria for a language for gaining that status is its existence for more than 1,000 years. Tamil can look back at a literary history of at least 2,000 years.
- More information about Tamil (Wikipedia)
OTHER MICROSOFT PRODUCTS IN TAMIL:
- Windows 7 is already available in Tamil and can be downloaded from the Windows 7 language download page.