• As part of Microsoft’s continuing efforts to protect its customers, Microsoft announced a collaborative effort with technology industry leaders and academia to implement a coordinated, global approach to combating the Conficker worm.
• This collaborative partnership between Microsoft, security researchers, ICANN and operators within the domain name system has proactively disabled a significant number of domains targeted by Conficker to disrupt the use of the worm and prevent potential attacks.
• As a company, we believe that technology innovation, customer guidance and partnerships are essential to addressing the increasing complexities of cybercrime. This community-based defense approach has enabled the technology industry, along with academia, to expand the boundaries of defense and better protect people worldwide.
• Microsoft also announced a $250,000 reward for information that results in the arrest and conviction of those responsible for illegally launching the Conficker malicious code on the Internet.
• For more information please see the press release at: http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2009/feb09/02-12ConfickerPR.mspx