Team DHCP wants your feedback!

1. Is  there a particular feature in DHCP (eg. reservations, callout DLL,   failover, netsh, …) that interests you?
  2. Have you customized the DHCP server, using scripts or external utilities to suit your environment?
  3. Are there features, that you would like to see,  in the next version of your favorite DHCP server?
  4. If you have answered “Yes” to any of the above,  we would love to hear from you.    Please contact us at msnetworkteam_AT_live_dot_com.

Team DHCP

(Keywords : DHCP, reservation, failover, mac filter, callout dll, split scope, 80-20 setup)

Great post, explained really well and I could really understand. Thank you.

Don’t know if my last post was missed so just resending…

I’m trying to set up a Windows Server 2008 CCR cluster using (non-Microsoft)DHCP for the Client Access networks. Can you let me know what I need to enter for the MAC Address/Unique ID information on the DHCP server? Thanks.

3. teamdhcp says:

Can you provide more information: On which OS are the Dhcp clients running.

Also, please mail Wireshark packet captures to, when Laptops are connected to the wire.

I read articles from topic "Extending Microsoft Snap-ins" in the MSDN ( Unfortunately I can not find any information about extending snap-in for DHCP server (and for DNS Server too). Is it possible?

5. teamdhcp says:

Did you use Windows Cluster?     What tools and scripts did you use for this?

The state government department I work for has a small central team managing the central DHCP service. Would really like to be able to delegate site specific scopes/superscopes to field support engineers responsible for each site (access control based on AD Group/User)

Is this a possibility in a future version of DHCP?

7. teamdhcp says:

What I meant was actually missing PTR record only. You need to have Reverse Lookup Zone configured for PTR records to get registered. I guess I should have been more specific.

Raunak Pandya

8. teamdhcp says:

Hey Andrew,

This is a known problem in WS08 where if you do not have Reverse Lookup Zone configured in your DNS Server, DHCP MMC will be slow. The bug is fixed in WS08R2.

Configure a Reverse lookup zone and try again.

Raunak Pandya

I would really like to see a feature like CCR known from Exchange 2007 working with DHCP server. That would be a cost effective solution that enables administrators to patch their servers without service disruption.

hi, i tried to make a redundant DHCP system with 2 nos. of servers in Cluster, with Microsoft tools and some simple works fine.

11. teamdhcp says:

Thanks for the feedback Si,

The ability to convert a lease to reservation by right clicking is there is Windows Server 2008 R2 DHCP Server. You may want to grab your hands on the Beta version available for download @ the Microsoft site.

Regarding the naming of unique id to MAC address, most of the DHCP clients uses MAC address as the unique id similar to the old BOOTP protocol. However, this value need not be MAC address always and can be changed by Vendors and System Administrators hence the name Unique ID 🙂

Raunak Pandya

DHCP Server Team

12. teamdhcp says:

Hi Pierre,

Can you please elaborate on your specific need to allocate scope/IP addresses based on relay agent information option (option 82).

Kindly provide the details here on the blog or email at teamdhcp_AT_hotmail_dot_com or msnetworkteam_AT_live_dot_com.

Team DHCP

Setup a Windows 2008 cluster with DHCP.. The dhcp server snapin hangin up and enumerating the zones and reservations very slowly like taking 5 to 10 minutes to fully populate.. Any help would be appreciated..

14. Thomas Lee says:

I’d like to see PowerShell Cmdlets to manage DHCP.

15. teamdhcp says:

Hey Craig,

Try the following

In NetShell go to the interface ipv6 prompt,

netsh interface ipv6 > set interface <interface number>  advertise=enabled  manageAddress=enabled .

Here <interface number> is the name or id of the interface to which you have IPv6 binding to DHCP server.

Please let me know if you still face any problem.

Raunak Pandya

DHCP Server Team

16. Craig Duckett says:

Hi there,

I am trying to set up a Windows Server 2008 machine to be a DHCPv6 server for assigning IPv6 addresses to Vista client machines connected to a small internal network, however my client machines are unable to get these addresses. When I set up the server for DHCP (IPv4) it works as expected (IP addresses are assigned to the clients), but when I set it up for DHCPv6 it doesn’t work. Are there additional services I need to install on the server with DHCPv6 in order to get the proper assignation of IPv6 addresses? Is there is a document or guide, even bullet points, available anywhere that walks-through the proper setup for DHCPv6 on WIndows Server 2008? I’ve purchased four very-pricey Windows Server 2008 books and so far all are very thin with anything to do regarding DHCPv6/IPv6 setup.

17. Michael VanDusen says:

I am having a problem with DHCP.  We currently have two DHCP servers that hand out addresses.  Some times there are laptops that are on the wire for a day or two and then off the wire for a long period of time.  We have the lease time for 30 days.  We have had some issues where a laptop gets a lease for 30 days goes off the wire and comes back on the wire within 30 days and gets a different ip address.  This also happens with desktops sometimes too.  Has anyone else seen this problem.  Also there has not been a ipconfig /release done when the system leaves the wire

18. Si says:

Ability to right click on a lease and turn it into a reservation.

Or at least right click on a lease and copy the MAC address.

And preferably call MAC addresses "MAC addresses" instead of "unique id"…

19. Andrew Zona says:

Just installed Windows 2008 cluster with Dhcp. I am experiancing problems with the dhcp snapin being very slow and hanging up when trying to access the dhcp server on the cluster.. Any suggestions?

20. Chris says:

Hi Raunak,

the problem is not the Reverse lookup zone, it is the missing pointer record (PTR) of the virtual cluster name in the Reverse lookup zone.

I had exact the same problem, with a configured Reverse lookup Zone. When I add the PTR Record, the snapin worked perfect!

21. Buddy says:

We are setting up a new virtualized windows 2008 R2 DHCP servers at a new data center which will also be 100% virtualized. We will need to import existing DHCP scopes from four other areas into the new servers.  What is the best way to bring those scopes into the new servers?  Each area is using a majority of a Class-B each.  Can we just do a Superscope for each area and bring in all their networks so they are organized on the new servers by their Superscope?

also, being this is going into a virtualized environment, would you suggest a clustering option being as we are not messing with their  current configuration, or would you suggest using a split-scope option?

22. Pierre says:

I'm interesting on a particular feature that doesn't exist yet in MS DHCP server: the possibility of allocating a scope with the infirmation contained in the field option 82 (RFC 3046).

23. Christian says:

Wow, if Team DHCP can't even know why we need option 82 in our network, we'll not see any Windows DHCP server with this capability soon (bet I will check this blog entry in 10 years with same hope).