As my career progresses and I dive deeper and deeper into the cloud, every once in a while my core Windows Server Active Directory roots come up and tap me on the shoulder. Or else others ping me to say “Hey, where are the best resources out there for Active Directory goodness?”. Since many of these links are oldies but goodies, I want to collect and collate the best current and past links for you, me and our customers. Hope you enjoy and please share!
Active Directory Core Links
Many of the links below will have multiple sub-sections. I am trying to capture the core pages that are really great places to start in the search for our Active Directory knowledge.
Windows Server Active Directory
- What’s new in Active Directory Domain Services for Windows Server 2016
- What’s New in AD DS in Windows Server 2012 R2
- AD DS Design and Planning
- Summary of Best Practices | Active Directory
- Best Practices for Securing Active Directory
- Active Directory Domain Services Virtualization
- Install a new Active Directory forest on an Azure virtual network
Don’t disregard the older AD docs, as most, if not all, of those concepts will still apply
- Active Directory Domain Services Guide
- Understanding Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) Functional Levels
- Best Practice Active Directory Design for Managing Windows Networks
Tools and Downloads
- Azure Active Directory Connect Health Agent
- Active Directory Replication Status Tool
- Active Directory Domain Services Management Pack for System Center
- Microsoft Active Directory Topology Diagrammer
A special shout out to the first one from Microsoft’s Engineering Team in Redmond. You should frequently check this one for the latest and greatest updates.
Watch and Learn
Microsoft TechEd, Ignite and Channel 9
- Microsoft Active Directory: An Introduction – series of videos on AD DS Roles on Windows Server 2012 R2