OFFICIAL RULESUPDATED: May 14, 2010 to reflect new deadline for entries, June 30, 2010.
PLEASE NOTE: It is solely your responsibility to review and understand your employer’s policies regarding your eligibility to participate in trade promotions. If you are participating in violation of your employer’s policies, you may be disqualified from entering the contest or receiving prizes. Microsoft disclaims any and all liability or responsibility for disputes arising between an employee and their employer related to this matter, and prizes will only be awarded in compliance with the employer’s policies.
GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES: Microsoft is committed to complying with government gift and ethics rules and therefore government employees are not eligible.
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES: These are the official rules that govern how the System Center Management Pack Extension Contest will operate (“Contest”). In these rules, “we”, “our”, and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of this Contest. “You” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
This is a skill-based Contest. The object of this Contest is to highlight the work of members of the System Center community who are building Management Pack extensions (“MPE”) that add new capabilities to a Management Pack found in the System Center Catalog. For purposes of this Contest, each MPE that you create and publish to System Center Central website will be called an “entry”. All eligible entries will be judged using the criteria described below to determine the winners of the prizes described below.
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Contest starts at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time (PT) on April 12, 1010, and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2010 (“Entry Period”). Entries must be received within the Entry Period to be eligible. NOTE: We have extended the contest to June 30 from the originally stated end date of June 7.
Please visit http://www.worldtimeserver.com/ or other world time database to determine local time.
CAN I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements at the time of entry:
- You are an IT professional creating management packs in the System Center Operations Manager Console or other tools, and you have registered on the free System Center Central website; and
- You are NOT a resident of any of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria; and
PLEASE NOTE: U.S. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore residents of these countries / regions are not eligible to participate
- You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
This Contest is void outside the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
HOW DO I ENTER?
Entries will be accepted in four separate categories as follows:
- Reporting pack extensions – Management pack extensions that add useful or slick reporting features to catalog management packs
- Diagram or SLM pack extensions – Management pack extensions that add useful service level monitoring (SLM) or distributed application designer (DAD) diagrams to catalog management packs
- Visio or Dashboard pack extensions – Management pack extensions that utilize the Visio export tool and that create useful dashboard features hosted in SharePoint 2010
- Tuning pack extensions – Management pack extensions that enable/disable specific sets of rules or add new rules to create an improved experience with a catalog management pack
To support your entry, you must provide adequate documentation, as described below; you also have the option, but it is not a requirement, to also submit a short video (no more than 10 minutes in length) in which you explain the features and benefits of your MPE. In order to participate in this Contest, you must do all of the following:
- Register for the free System Center Central website at http://www.systemcentercentral.com/Register.aspx by providing your contact information.
- Upload your MPE to the System Center Central website from the designated Contest page, providing all appropriate descriptive text or other information required by the submission form.
- Be sure to include in your submission full documentation of your MPE, describing how to use its features and functions; and specify any limitations, known issues, or any other relevant information that will help the judging committee and the community to understand your submission, evaluate it, and use it.
- If you are submitting an optional video with your entry, be sure to limit it to 10 minutes in length. You can either submit the video file for hosting on the site, or you can link to an external resource, such as YouTube, or any other video hosting service.
All submitted materials must be in English. We will only accept 1 entry per person per category. This means an individual can submit up to four entries total. We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason. In addition, we will automatically disqualify any incomplete or illegible entry or any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY?
To be eligible for judging an entry must meet the following content / technical requirements:
- All Entry materials must be in English for English speaking judges, including both the MPE and documentation.
- All submissions must pass virus check and submitters must provide full documentation on the extension.
- Submissions must be freely downloadable by the general public, and have no restrictions on use.
- If your entry will incorporate any pre-existing source code, you must make sure that your inclusion of such pre-existing source code does not infringe on any third party rights, and is used in accordance with all applicable licensing and use terms. Microsoft does not and will not accept any obligations set forth in any separate license or other agreement which may apply to an entry, or any portion thereof. You agree to secure the necessary rights to ensure that the entry may be hosted by System Center Central without violating the rights of any third party or purporting to subject Microsoft, System Center Central, or their intellectual property to any other obligations to you or any third party.
- your entry must be your own original work; and
- your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
- you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
- your entry must not otherwise violate the rights of any other person or company by using their trademarks, music, logos, names or images without their express written consent.
- If requested by Sponsor, you must be willing and able to provide proof of written consent to qualify as a prize winner.
Entries may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that:
- is sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic;
- promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda;
- is obscene or offensive;
- defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
- communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law;
We reserve the right to reject any entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
HOW WILL MY ENTRY BE POTENTIALLY USED?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
- are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all its content in connection with the promotion of this Contest in all media (now known or later developed);
- agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
- understand and acknowledge that the Promotion Parties may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry;
- understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
- understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules.
Please note that your entry will be posted on a website selected by us for viewing and downloading by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZES
On or around July 7, 2010, all eligible Entries will be judged by a panel of experts and one overall Grand Prize winner, one overall First Place prize winner and four category winners (one per category) will be determined based on the following criteria:
- Technical Score: Entries will be examined to assess technical effort that the entry imports and extends a catalog management pack, and performs a useful function for end users of Operations Manager who may choose to use the entry. 40%
- Elegance: Rich graphics or reporting layout, fit for use, ease of use and the degree of professional polish. The closer an entry appears to “fit” the look and feel of a SCOM management pack being extended, the higher the score will be in this category. 15%
- Documentation: The clarity of the documentation, level of information and instruction will be an important consideration. 15%
- Presentation: The utility and depth of the entry in terms of adding significant value to the management pack that is being extended. Small extensions (for example, a new menu) will be awarded fewer points. Comprehensive extensions (for example, new scenarios, new functionality) will be awarded higher scores. 15%
- Value to the typical System Center customer: The utility and depth of the entry in terms of adding significant value to the management pack that is being extended. Small extensions (for example, a new menu) will be awarded fewer points. Comprehensive extensions (for example, new scenarios, new functionality) will be awarded higher scores. 15%
One (1) Overall Grand Prize: A $500 USD Visa Gift Card One (1) Overall First Prize: A $400 USD Visa Gift Card.
Four (4) Category Prizes (one per category): A $275 USD Visa Gift Card
The total Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of all prizes: $2000 USD
Limit one (1) prize per person.
The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than described above.
In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, an additional Microsoft panel judge will break the tie based on the judging criteria described above. The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) provided at time of entry within seven (7) days following completion of judging. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award to a runner-up.
If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you are a potential winner and you are 18 years of age or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Contest:
- You may not exchange your prize for any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value; and
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
- If you are otherwise eligible for this Contest, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Contest you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold harmless Microsoft and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, or any prize won; and
- That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
- That, by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CONTEST IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Contests, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CONTEST?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
WHO IS ADMINISTERING THIS CONTEST?
System Center Central: http://www.systemcentercentral.com/