When you try to browse Search Settings.aspx page from Shared Services Provider in Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007, you receive the following error message
403 Forbidden Error.
403 Forbidden Error if clicked on SearchSettings.aspx page within Shared Services Provider Administration site.
This issue occurs when the WSS_WPG group account does not have the correct permissions to the %windir%\Tasks folder on the computer that is running the Office SharePoint Server 2007 indexing service
1. Use an account that has administrative permissions to log on to the computer that is running the Office SharePoint Server 2007 indexing service.
2. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
attrib –s %windir%\tasks
Note In this example, %windir% is the path of the Windows folder. For example, the path can be C:\Windows.
Note If Windows Explorer is open when you make this change, you will not see the extra tab in Windows Explorer. If Windows Explorer is already open, close and then reopen it before you perform step 4.
4. In Windows Explorer, right-click the Tasks folder, and then click Properties.
5. In the Tasks Properties dialog box, click the Security tab, and then click Add
6. In the Select Users, Computers, or Groups dialog box, type WSS_WPG in the Enter object names to select box, and then click OK.
7. Grant the following permissions for the WSS_WPG account, and then click OK:• Read
8. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
9. In Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager, right-click ComputerName (local computer), click All Tasks, and then click Restart IIS.
10. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
11. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
attrib +s %windir%\tasks
Note this resets the Tasks Property back to the default view.
Ps. Perform the above task on all the SharePoint Servers.
12. Now browse the Search settings page (Searchsettings.aspx)