Updates for Surface Pro 3 (24 Aug 2017)

We've released a new driver and firmware update for Surface Pro 3 devices running Windows 10 Anniversary Update or above. This update includes drivers for the Surface Smart Cover Backlight, Surface PTP Filter, Surface Fingerprint Sensor Driver, Surface Pro Type Cover Integration, and Surface Type Cover Filter Device. These updates enable support for the new Surface Pro Type Cover and Surface Pro Signature Type Covers.

These updates are available in MSI and ZIP format from the Surface Pro 3 Drivers and Firmware page in the Microsoft Download Center. Click Download to download the following files:

• SurfacePro3_Win10_14393_1703702_0.msi
  • SurfacePro3_Win10_14393_1703702_1.zip

For your reference, here is a full list of the driver versions that are updated in this release and the improvements they provide:

Surface Pro 3:

• Surface Smart Cover Backlight v3.0.0.0 enables support for Surface Pro Type Cover and Surface Pro Signature Type Covers.
  • Surface PTP Filter v1.0.173.1 Enables support for Surface Pro Type Cover and the Surface Pro Signature Type Covers.
  • Surface Fingerprint Sensor Driver v2.2.11.0 enables support for Surface Pro Type Cover and Surface Pro Signature Type Covers.
  • Surface Pro Type Cover Integration v1.0.2.0 enables support for Surface Pro Type Cover and Surface Pro Signature Type Covers.
  • Surface Type Cover Filter Device v1.1.504.0 enables support for Surface Pro Type Cover and Surface Pro Signature Type Covers.

1. bao bong da says:

i can’t download file ? you for share link

1. The link has been fixed.

2. Dean says:

So if I have the creators update, does that mean I cannot use the new type covers? Only people who did not update will get this? Or will this change in the near future?

1. These drivers apply to Build 14393 (Anniversary Update) and above, including Build 15063 (Creators Update).

3. Johnny says:

Not Working
    I nave Two Type Cover
    Not Working after Update July Day 21

4. Noel says:

I have problem: my surface pro3 can t recognize my type cover
    I have keyboard PIH device. Before the update i had surface type cover filter device

I try the power and vol+, type cover doesn t work
    I m not alone in this situation (in website answer.microsoft.com, many people have this problem)

1. Galib F. Rahman says:

I too have been experiencing issues in connectivity between my Surface Pro 3 and Touch Cover. It began in the middle of September, after I finally updated my Surface with the downloaded updates. Afterwards, my Touch Cover’s light went out all of a sudden and I could no longer type. Then, I did a reboot – and the keyboard lit up once again, and I proceeded to finish up my report. One minute later, the keyboard’s lights faded away and I was left with a dead keyboard. I troubleshooted the issue by following the steps posted on the Microsoft forums – which included holding the power button and volume ‘up’ button at the same time until the BIOS showed up and to restart- and then connect the keyboard. I have attempted this ‘solution’ several times to no avail. I scoured the web to find a way to bring back my type cover to life – to no success. I’ve downloaded the drivers to enable support for the Type cover called “Surface Type Cover Filter Device” and it was hidden in the Device Manager, because it assumed that the hardware was not connected. So I uninstalled it (as suggested by some forums) and rebooted my Surface and reattached my keyboard. This only lead to further disappointment and frustration. I’m an engineering student who heavily relies on his Surface Pro 3 for everything. I bought it when it first came out and enrolled in college- and now in the middle of a crucial semester I am left handicapped with a keyboard that serves no greater purpose than a paperweight at the moment.

Why would a Microsoft push out updates that would render Type covers useless, when customers spend several thousands of dollars to purchase their products?

Okay fine, mistakes happen, and there can be bugs that are hard to find – but what should we do in the mean time?

Sorry for the rant- I just really want my keyboard to work – or a working solution.

I’ve taken care of my baby (Surface Pro 3 and Touch Cover), so I can assure you it’s not a hardware issue. Other users in Microsoft’s Forums have also experienced this issue with their keyboards and went to purchase another keyboard for testing. Turns out, the new keyboard wont work either. (see video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjjMnw4iaUI&t=2s)

(I’ve also cleaned out my connectors with a Q-Tip too!)

If there are any other possible solutions please keep me in the know – I’d really appreciate it!
      Thanks in Advance!!

5. Johnny says:

Microsoft my device is draining the battery while it is off and this happens after the last firmwares. I have a video on youtube presenting the problem. Many people have commented and they have the same problem. My keyboard only works when the battery drains to 0%. Besides my keyboard does not work now the battery drains when my device is off.

1. Johnny says:

Right now I just plugged in my surface and the keyboard worked, but only working when the battery drains to 0%. My keyboard stopped working after the July update