Hi Folks –
Windows Server 2012 introduced advanced storage capabilities that lower the cost of storage and give customers options to reduce their infrastructure costs. Windows Storage Server 2012 gives customers the option of working with partners to purchase an appliance solution from a partner. One example of such a solution is the Seagate Business Storage Windows Server 4-bay NAS, based on Windows Storage Server 2012.
According to Seagate’s press release, this latest addition to the company’s Business Storage product line:
- Integrates seamlessly with Windows IT infrastructures
- Provides up to 16 TB of centralized storage, secure collaboration and file sharing, and centrally hosted PC backups for small and medium-sized offices or workgroups
- Includes several useful extras, including Seagate System Monitor software, 100GB of free EVault offsite cloud backup for the life of the NAS, and a built-In Universal Storage Module (USM) slot
Powerful Features for Small/Medium Businesses
With the Seagate Business Storage Windows Server 4-bay NAS, you get several key features and benefits that you get from an appliance based on Windows Storage Server. These include:
- The ability to easily expand into a branch office or add to an existing Windows IT infrastructure
- The advantages that come with Windows Server built-in functionality such as Storage Spaces storage virtualization, which gives you configurable levels of data protection and BitLocker Drive Encryption
- Affordable performance that comes with features such as iSCSI Target capabilities that are built into Windows Storage Server and deliver reliable storage and broad compatibility for virtualized environments
- Support for Windows Server-compatible software (such as antivirus or backup solutions)
Options and System Specifications
Seagate Business Storage Windows Server 4-bay NAS appliances are offered in four configurations:
- Business Storage Windows Server 4-bay NAS 4TB – Model # STDM4000100
- Business Storage Windows Server 4-bay NAS 8TB – Model # STDM8000100
- Business Storage Windows Server 4-bay NAS 12TB – Model # STDM12000100
- Business Storage Windows Server 4-bay NAS 16TB – Model # STDM16000100
A data sheet for the Seagate Business Storage Windows Server 4-bay NAS can be found here.
The following technical specifications (taken from Seagate’s website) apply to all models:
Several Useful Extras
The Seagate Business Storage Windows Server 4-bay NAS also comes with several useful extras:
- Seagate System Monitor.
Windows Storage Server is designed for ease of management. Built-in Seagate System Monitor software builds on that functionality to allow for comprehensive hardware monitoring, as well as quick access to key system administration and management features built into Windows Storage Server.
- Free EVault Offsite Cloud Backup. Windows Storage Server includes Windows Server Backup to help you keep your data safe. Seagate builds on this by providing 100GB of business-class offsite cloud backup from EVault, which is free for the life of the product and can be centrally managed via a Web browser.
- Built-In Universal Storage Module (USM) Slot. The Seagate Business Storage Windows Server 4-bay NAS also includes a SATA Universal Storage Module (USM) slot, which enables you to easily and quickly transfer your data to a portable drive.
Windows Storage Server is a trusted foundation for a NAS appliance that assures easy integration with your existing Windows-based IT infrastructure. Seagate Business Storage hardware combines Windows Storage Server technology with additional performance, data protection, simplified management, and cost-effectiveness for small and medium-sized businesses. It includes:
- Up to 16 terabytes of storage
- A powerful management interface
- A USM slot that makes data easily portable and can serve as an offsite backup
Windows Storage Server in a NAS appliance – that’s what I call affordable storage!
Scott M. Johnson
Windows Storage Server