How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1

If you’ve tried installing IE8 Beta 2 onto a machine that already had IE8 Beta 1 on it then you’ll have seen the following message:

Install Windows Internet Explorer 8

A previous build of Internet Explorer 8 is already installed on your computer. You must remove it before installing the latest version of Internet Explorer 8

You may have then gone to the “Programs and Features” icon in the Control panel (if you’re on Windows Vista) and expected to see Internet Explorer listed there.

Note: On Windows XP you’d have gone to “Add Remove Programs” in the Control Panel.

You’d have been disappointed though as Internet Explorer 8 is actually listed under “view installed updates” hyperlink at the top right hand side of the “Programs and Features” applet in Control Panel (on Vista).

The following screen shot was taken from Windows Vista – you can see  “Windows Internet Explorer 8” listed under “Microsoft Windows”:

Anne & Richard> I know this may sound like a silly question but are you looking at the right list as shown in the diagram? I was running IE Beta 1 and that’s where it showed up on my system hence I can’t understand why it would be different on your system. not sure how to help you move on – please confirm.

Tony> Have you made any progress since posting your comment?

3. tony says:

IE8 Beta is not on the list.  What next?

4. Bob Hyatt says:

Good information. I had briefly scanned the list for Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 (MSIE as it has been commonly called) but missed it since it was listed as Windows Internet Explorer 8.

Thanks!

5. Sandra Beinhower says:

thank u very much for letting us install this regersty cleanup

6. Martin Sarsini says:

Microsof just a usual. Why Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome are considered as programs and IE8 has to be considered as an update? Always the same old story… ie+windows…

7. Sarah Mocke says:

I know that i installed Internet Explorer 8 and have all of it features such as inprivate but it is not listed in either my installed promgrams or updates. As a result of this, i can’t uninstall it even it has caused me many problems. I will like your advise on how to resolve this issue.

8. Richard Bostrom says:

Ie8 beta 1 does not show up in any of the lists

Then what?

Thanks

RGB

9. Anne says:

I also, can’t locate Windows Internet Explore 8 Beta on the list of updates as well as the unistalled programs listing. So, how do I go about uninstalling this good for nothing IE 8 Beta? Any help would be appreciated.

10. raj... says:

u hav given the solution for uninstalling the IE 8.. for vista is good… u told very clearly…

thank u.

Raj

11. Frank says:

Hello,

I installed the unstable IE8 Beta 2 and I would like to know "How can I good about un-install the program, and go back to ie7.

12. Frank says: