Are ITPROs in the UK familiar with the Term “BlackHat”?

I’m sure you’re probably familiar with the term ITPro but just incase you’re not then it means people who are paid for Technical work on Information systems.

Is the term “BlackHat” familiar to ITPros in the UK? Please hit the “Feedback” button for this post and let me know what you think.

Thanks

Steve

1. Scott Galloway says:

Well I am…BlackHat, WhiteHat and GreyHat…I don’t know how widespread the term is though but I’d guess most developers will be familiar with it…

2. . says:

I wear a pink hat *wink*

3. Chris Garrett says:

Anyone in the SEO field will have heard the term "BlackHat", not used in general conversation in the UK though as it seems to be a "cowboy" term?

4. will says:

My first question to an ‘IT Pro’ would be to ask him if he’s familiar with the term ‘uptime’.

5. Nicu says:

I don’t believe so. If memory serves me right – a blackHat is usually a hacker (An IT Pro) with malicious intent – I could be wrong

6. OmegaSupreme says:

I’ve heard this term used but not much.

7. Si says:

BlackHat as in blackhat hacker / whitehat hacker? Sure we’ve heard of it. Blackhat is the bad guy, whitehat is the good guy but to the media they are all the same thing, bad 🙁

Si

8. SimonT says:

Im a developer, the Term Black Hat to me means evil hacker who hacks for malicious reasons or personal gain or just infamy.

White hats are people who do ethical hacks to prove security for the overall good of the organisation or community at large.

Is that what you are refering to

9. Steve Lamb says:

SimonT – that’s what I meant. Personally I don’t expect general ITPros to be familiar with the term "BlackHat" – judging by the feedback I that seems to be the concensus.

10. Thomas Lee says:

I assume you are using the term in the sense of a not-so-nice hacker, a hacker with black intentions on your data.

f course, you could be referring simply to an undertaker, and professional wearer of black hats… 🙂

11. Steve Lamb says:

Thomas> I was refering to malicious individuals who steal data and / or deny access to the legitimate use of data.

With the post I was trying to poll opinion rather than ask if those viewing the post knew what I meant by the term.

12. Mark Osborn says:

Absolutely…

BlackHat = System Cracker

WhiteHat = Security Professional

But I’d bet most IT Pros DONT use these terms, or know what they mean.

13. Andy McKnight says:

I’m surprised at this, I really didn’t think any admins who’ve been doing the job for any length of time *wouldn’t* know the term – it is common after all.

What’s your point with this though? This question seems rather random unless you’re maybe getting at something else? General IT Security awareness in the UK?

14. Steve Lamb says:

Andy> I was approached by a member of the team who wanted to use the term "Blackhat" in a message to ITPros. I agree that those who work with security technology certainly should know the term. I wanted to get a poll of your views as to whether general ITPros (rather than security folk) were aware of the term.

15. Andy McKnight says:

I didn’t think you could work as an ITPro and not work with Security Technology these days.. 🙂

16. Steve Lamb says:

Andy> If only that was true! There are those that work with security and those that have an idea of what they’re doing ;-(

17. Rhys Wilkins says:

Yes, I’m familiar with this term. Personally I wear a white hat, but I’m learning as much as I can about black hat techniques.

I’ve heard that these terms date from very old cowboy movies, where the good guys wore white hats and the bad guys wore black hats.

Not that I’d compare the computer industry to a cowboy movie.

18. Richard H. Rowson says:

I am familiar with the term, along with Grey and White