the latest news I would like to share for all IT-Pro’s out there is the availability of a complete virtual machine (VHD) for Hyper-V we published!
This is a very handy setup for a quick overview on SharePoint 2010 and how it works. Not only for demonstration but also for testing and playing around with it in a full configured and filled with sample data environment to explore all the features, functions and options it has.
The VHD’s are containing a full evaluating and demonstrating set of two VM’s with the following configuration:
This download contains a two Virtual Machine set for evaluating and demonstrating Office 2010 and SharePoint 2010.
- Virtual machine “a” contains the following pre-configured software:
- 1. Windows Server 2008 SP2 Standard Edition x64, running as an Active Directory Domain Controller for the “CONTOSO.COM” domain with DNS and WINS
- 2. Microsoft SQL Server 2008 SP2 Enterprise Edition with Analysis, Notification, and Reporting Services
- 3. Microsoft Office Communication Server 2007 R2
- 4. Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 Ultimate Edition
- 5. Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 Enterprise Edition Beta 2
- 6. Microsoft Office Web Applications Beta 2
- 7. FAST Search for SharePoint 2010 Beta 2
- 8. Microsoft Project Server 2010 Beta 2
- 9. Microsoft Office 2010 Beta 2
- 10. Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 R2
- Virtual machine “b” contains the following pre-configured software:
- 1. Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Evaluation Edition x64, joined to the “CONTOSO.COM” domain
- 2. Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Active directory has been preconfigured over 200 “demo” users with metadata in an organizational structure.
All of these user profiles have been imported and indexed for search within SharePoint Server 2010, with “contosoadministrator” granted administrator permissions.
SharePoint Server 2010 has been configured in a “Complete” farm using Kerberos authentication and the default SQL Server 2008 instance for data, and has a site collection created using the Team Site template at http://intranet.contoso.com/ and a FAST Search Center at http://intranet.contoso.com/search/.
- Performance Considerations
- 1. If possible, unpack and run the VM image on a separate, fast hard drive (7200 RPM or better) from the operating system of the host machine.
- 2. If this is being done on a laptop, a second internal drive or external eSATA drive works best, though USB 2.0 (make sure it’s 2.0, 1.1 is too slow) or Firewire is acceptable. For absolute best performance use a second internal SSD drive.
Download the virtual machines:
You can download here the 2010 Information Worker Demonstration Virtual Machine (Beta) 2010 Information Worker Demonstration and Evaluation Virtual Machine (RTM)
System requirements and Instructions can be found on the page as well 😉
The password for the VM is: pass@word1
For manual setup and playing around with SPS 2010, please see also my other posts, listed here: SharePoint 2010 Resource Guide
Happy SharePointing 😉
Steve Chen, Sr. Support Engineer SharePoint
Looks like the Download links are not working any longer….
2010 Information Worker Demonstration and Evaluation Virtual Machine (RTM)
Sorry. This download is no longer available.
The download you have chosen has been retired.
We will redirect you to “Other” downloads search results in 3 seconds or click the “Next” button to go there immediately.”
But if of interest aside:
Download Link for Microsoft Project 2010 Demonstration and Evaluation Installation Pack: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20919
And from web search, it Looks like you may try to get it from here:
I also found a script from another post, that may contain still working links for download.
Please try this: http://www.sharepointpodcast.com/de/Download-IWDemo10a.zip