Here is a summary of some news, Announcements and other interesting stuff, send out "randomly"
December 2016 flash
- Office 2007 End of Support remainder:
Starting October 10th 2017 "Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007" (aka MOSS 2007) will enter final end of support!
That means, after this date there is no more support for this product and all you have is only the www, the KB knowledgebase and some blogs out there.
See more on the support lifecycle policy pages!Great time to retire your Office 2007 applications and plan your upgrade projects!
See Resources to help you upgrade your Office 2007 servers and clients
Products Reaching End of Support soon:
- Products reaching end of support for 2017
- Products reaching end of support in the second half of 2016
For more information please visit http://www.microsoft.com/lifecycle.
Feature Pack 1 released!
- With the November 2016 CU we introduced several new features as part of the feature pack.
see here the brief overview of the new added features:
- MinRole enhancements to support small and medium-sized farms.
- OneDrive for Business modern experience
- Custom tiles in the SharePoint app launcher
- SharePoint hybrid auditing unified across site collections on-premises and in Office 365.
- Hybrid taxonomy unified across on-premises and Office 365.
- OneDrive API for SharePoint on-premise
- Additional TechNet Forums have been created for the new SharePoint Server 2016 functionalities introduced with Feature Pack 1:
Public Web sites
- Information about changes to the SharePoint Online Public Website feature
Starting on January 2015, Microsoft notified about changes to the SharePoint Online Public Website feature.
Customers who currently still use this feature will have to take action until March 2017!
Please see this KB 3027254 Article for more: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3027254Recently the PG have published an updated communication (9th December) to customers that still use SPO Public Sites.This has been published to the Tenant Message Centre as #MC88504. To read the full text of this message see here.To proactively remind our customers about the deprecation of Public Websites, we would like to encourage customers
to refer to the new communication in the Message Centre and take appropriate action.
There is updated guidance published that helps customers migrate to alternative Public site providers, see this link for details.
O365 Groups and team sites
- New capabilities in SharePoint Online team sites including integration with Office 365 Groups
Microsoft has announced several new capabilities for SharePoint online team sites!
- Team site publishing pages (named Modern team site pages)
- New web parts
- Office 365 Groups + team sites integration
- New site collection limit (25 TB rather than 1 TB)
- Manageability and extensibility
Find more details on the office blog!
- Introducing Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams—the chat-based workspace in Office 365
Microsoft announced Microsoft Teams—the new chat-based workspace in Office 365.
Microsoft Teams is an entirely new experience that brings together people, conversations and content—along with the tools that teams need…
Other SharePoint related news and updates…
PSConfig Wizard updated!
- With August 2016 CU for SharePoint 2016 we updated PSConfig with a couple of major improvements:
- PSConfig improved error reporting
- SharePoint Patching and Get-SPProduct -local
The good news is that the changes for PSConfig released with August 2016 CU for SharePoint 2016
have been back ported to SharePoint 2013 and were released with December 2016 CU for SharePoint 2013.
.Net 4.6 Support added for SharePoint 2013
TLS 1.2 Support for SharePoint:
SharePoint security fixes and Cumulative updates recently released
- SPS 2016 Build Numbers and updates
- SPS 2013 Build numbers and Updates
- SPS 2010 Build numbers and Updates
- MOSS 2007/WSSv3 Build Numbers (see also end of support remainder above!)
Windows Server AppFabric with SharePoint (aka Distributed Cache)
Workflow Management with SharePoint
- Workflow Manager Information
- Workflow Manager Updates - New updates will be posted to the Workflow Team blog.
For example, Workflow Manager 1.0 Cumulative Update 3 was highlighted as a recent update to this page.
- Updates for SharePoint 2013 Workflow (by Andrew Connell
- What is the difference between a PU, a CU and a COD?
- SharePoint Patching demystified
- SharePoint does not have a build version
- SharePoint Patching and Get-SPProduct -local
- SharePoint 2013 and SQL Server 2016
Recently reported/known Issues:
- Windows Security fixes (MS16-101) prevent SharePoint from changing Managed Account Passwords
- A SharePoint webpage does not render after you update a Trend Micro definition
- Be careful when copying/moving items between libraries with different list schema using “Manage Content and Structure”
Other related Links:
- SharePoint Online: software boundaries and Limits
- Office 365 Jump Start (12): SharePoint Online Overview
- Getting started with Office 365 PowerShell
- Service assurance in the Office 365 Security & Compliance Center
- Office 365 Service Descriptions
- Security for SharePoint Server 2016
- Update Center for Microsoft Office, Office Servers, and Related Products
- Disaster Recovery best practices for SharePoint Server and Access Services (SharePoint Server 2010/2013)
- News from TechNet Community: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/
- Windows PowerShell equivalents for common networking commands (IPCONFIG, PING, NSLOOKUP)
- SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 1 Update
- Training and Videos
That's it so far!
wish you all the best and a Happy new year