F*#$!@g spam!

Yeah, it's been a while since I've written a post, and I have some ideas I'll get to once the prep work for TechEd this year settles down a bit.

But look -- why in the world do the freaking spammers have to start targetting blogs now? I keep my comments open and unmoderated because I'm generally opposed to censorship. I really don't want to have to switch to moderated comments. But I'm getting a bit tired of the spam that appears here.

We all keep drowning in the stuff because spam works, obviously. Why? Because somebody, somewhere, is actually buying penis enlargement pills! <grumble grumble> If it's you, do us all a favor: please stop!

Like Steve Riley I’m fed up with receiving a large number of spam comments on my blog. I’ve just returned…

Finally, after goodness knows how long, I am getting blog spam.

I figure this means that I have arrived,…

3. Wim says:

is it an option to kindof just add a spamfilter to the comments. It is a kind of censorship but might be better than total moderation

4. You’re stealing my material now?  WTF?

🙂

5. Alun Jones says:

Spam doesn’t actually have to work in order for people to do it.

People merely have to believe that it will work, and possess sufficient extra time, money and bandwidth to try it out.

The cost of entry is cheaper than that of tucking flyers in windshield wipers, and the spammers reason that if just one person replies, they’ll make more money than it cost.

From there, it’s a short step to assuming that one person will reply, no matter what the pitch is.

It doesn’t help that the immediate response of all and sundry is "they must be making money doing this, or they wouldn’t be doing it", because that fuels the supposition that "if they’re making money doing this, so can I".

It’s time this got turned around into "I can’t afford to do that, or I’ll suffer the same fate as the last couple of hundred people who did it’.

6. steriley says:

Get used to it, Aaron… and soon I suspect you’ll be appropriating ("steal" is such a mean word) mine. In fact, I encourage it! 🙂

7. Alun Jones says:

It used to be said there are only two stories:

1. A person sets out on a voyage.

2. A stranger comes to town.

In the blog-sphere, there is only one blog-entry:

1. Another person said in his blog, and I agree or disagree with him…

Some of us are man enough to link to the blog that prompted our posting 🙂

8. steriley says:

But, alas, nowhere in Aaron’s blog does he use the line… I got it from a conference seminar he delivered a while back. It’s the only thing from the whole 75 minutes that I remember! (just kidding, hehehe)

9. Alun Jones says:

Confused as I am, I assumed you were appropriating your content from Jesper: http://blogs.technet.com/jesper_johansson/archive/2006/05/04/427258.aspx

10. steriley says:

Please, I have minimal standards from whom I pilfer! No, the specific appropriation here is the bit in bold in the original post. Aaron said it at a conference and I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.

11. Renato Pessanha says:

I can’t avoid figuring out someone reading one of these pills spam email guessing "what a CRM!".

12. Anette says:

Yes, I have never understood who would be interested in all those ridiculous offers in spam contents. Another stupidity is that they are sending those spam e-mails to women as well, as they have no sense of gender.

It would be fun if one could develop a product that could "spam them back", but that is a very unlikely event as it is so hard to track down the real spam originator.

It is at least great to have company anti-spam gateways for e-mail.

I hope you will be able to keep your comments open and unmoderated!

Is the pilferage you are referring to not a result of the good teamwork within Microsoft?

Or is there just a lot of competition…?

Good luck to the two of you who are colleagues regarding your little issue of pilferage!

13. steriley says:

Sort of like Bill Gates receiving spam offering ways to help get rich quick 🙂

The pilfering thing is more of a joke than anything else…reusing each other’s one-liners happens a lot between many of us!

14. Alun Jones says:

Why on earth would you take wealth accumulation advice from someone who is so broke that the only way they see to make money is to irritate millions of people all day long?

15. Anette says:

I agree that the gender ignorance appears somewhat similar to Bill’s spam entertainment (the fun on how to get rich quick…). How do you protect mobile devices against virus- and similar security related threats? How do you really know whether it is an Intranet user/device?

16. Steve Lamb says:

Anette> At least most people don’t have sufficient privilege to install kernel mode software on their mobile phones!

Comments are closed.