Use Microsoft Flow to send a message to Microsoft Teams

Yesterday I wrote short blog post on how you could use a Webhook Connector to send data from PowerShell to Microsoft Teams.

For more info on Microsoft Teams check this video or the step-by-step introduction video to learn more.

Today I wanted to try to use Microsoft Flow to send a message to Microsoft Teams using the same webhook I created yesterday.

And it turned out it was pretty simple to get it working. I thought I would share it immediately.

If you don’t know Microsoft Flow yet, it’s Microsoft’s IFTTT service. Check the link for more info.

Open Microsoft Flow.

image

Select Create from blank.

Choose a trigger you want to use. I choose for Button.

image

Add a new step.

image

Choose Delay (or something else)

image

Enter the values for the delay

image

Add a new HTTP step

image

Don’t forget to enter you Microsoft Teams webhook value in the Uri field.

Give your Flow a Name and select Create Flow.

image

image

You can now use the Flow App on your mobile device to trigger the Flow.

image

And when the delay is finished we see the message in Microsoft Teams.

image

How cool is this?

Have a great weekend.

1. Do not work for me!
    It says that the URI is not valid!
    Any idea ?

1. Hi Francesco,

Sorry it’s not working. Did you double check the Microsoft Teams Webhook uri? Did you add any quotes to it? There should not be any quotes.

/Stefan

2. vk chowdary says:

Can we send message to other people as chat?

3. Rajan says:

How to create a team in Microsoft Teams from Microsoft Flow?

1. Hi Rajan,

Right now there is not an REST API available yet but we are working on that.

More info here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40528865/can-i-create-channels-in-microsoft-teams-using-the-api

HTH
      /Stefan

4. Working 100%!!!
    thx for sharing!!!!

5. I used the webhook to connect a Flic-Button (a real physical button) to Teams at my session “Office 365 and IoT” at the European SharePoint Conference in Vienna see the recording starting at minute 31:46 https://youtu.be/389es9mYmLI

1. Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing 🙂

/Stefan

6. Peter Güttinger says:

Do you think it is possible to forward an email that was received in a group conversation to a teams channel? Or is it possible to directly send an email to a teams channel?

7. Mark says:

I’ve set it all up on a webhook that I have working from other tools, but I keep getting 400: bad payload on generic webhook. For a payload of { “test”: “button pressed” }; Any idea what I’m messing up?

8. Dagwood8 says:

Thanks Stefan, great post.

I wanted to take things a bit further from here and be able to send email notifications into Teams: after some further testing I posted results here: https://infocusict.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/ms-teams-email-notifications.html

1. Hi Brett,
      Thanks for sharing!

/Stefan

9. SK says:

Works like a charm, thank you!