Update: Installing Windows Live Writer on Windows 10

UPDATE:

I just found out that with the correct version of WLW you can install it without all the steps I described below.

Download WLW from: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials and just install on Windows 10.

HTH

Stefan

Hi people,

Sorry for being quiet for some time on this blog. One of the reasons was that I was not able to install Windows Live Writer on my Windows 10 devices. Yesterday I found out that there is a way to get Windows Live Writer installed on Windows 10 devices.

I followed the following steps.

1. Download Windows Live Writer installation files from http://wl.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/C/1/B/C1BA42D6-6A50-4A4A-90E5-FA9347E9360C/en/wlsetup-all.exe
  2. Save wlsetup-all.exe file in a folder. Example: c:\temp
  3. Open command prompt (cmd.exe)
  4. Navigate within command prompt to location where you saved wlsetup-all.exe file.
    Within the command prompt type: cd c:\temp (if that's the location where you saved the wlsetup-all.exe file)
  5. Type: wlsetup-all.exe /AppSelect:Writer /q /log:C:\temp\Writer.Log /noMU /noHomepage /noSearch
  6. Hit enter

Hopes this helps.

Stefan

1. GoodThings2Life says:

Really wish they’d release it as a standalone MSI installer, although I know there’s talk of open-sourcing it too, so maybe when that happens.

2. Hi GoodThings2Life I agree but this is already great to be able to install WLW on Windows 10 IMO 🙂

3. anonymouscommenter says:

I heard from couple of Windows Live Writer users that they can’t use it with Windows 10 OS. You can refer

4. Peter says:

Followed your instructions – wlsetup file not found? not recognised?

5. Michel Graves says:

Peter – while in the command prompt window you need to cd to the location where the file was downloaded.

6. @ Peter yes as Michel wrote you need to be in the folder where you stored the wlsetup-all.exe file from the command prompt.

/Stefan

7. anonymouscommenter says:

Installing Live Writer on Windows 10

8. Greg Low says:

Thank you so very much for this. I was really not looking forward to losing Live Writer.

9. Radenko says:

Thanks. Manage to install it. Please make it easier.

10. Do you happen to know if there will be an update to allow WLW to connect to SharePoint Online sites in the near future?

11. Hi Ryan,

I’ve no knowledge about allowing WLW to connect to SharePoint Online sites in the future. I do know we are in the process of open sourcing WLW. So nothing is stopping you to fork WLW or contribute 🙂

12. I’ll look forward to it being Open Sourced and see if I can help get this feature in the product 🙂

13. me-a-dummy says:

Would really like to install it but I have no clue what the instructions are telling me to do. Have no clue where to put that stuff. Isn’t that sad!

14. Hi me-a-dummy,

I’ve updated the steps needed to install WLW. Hope this is now clear enough to get you installing WLW.

/Stefan

15. MARIE says:

If they are the steps on this page, no. I don’t know how to navigate back to c:temp. You think me-a-dummy was a dummy!

16. Hi Marie,

Updated blogpost. Hope this now helps.

/Stefan

17. Don Wibier says:

Thanks!! Works like a charm!

18. Deborah says:

I’ve tried the command prompt but it "cannot find the path specified". The file is located in my "downloads" folder. The command prompt opens with C:UsersDeborah>
    How do I get past this?

19. Joe Stocker says:

@Deborah – just type in "cd downloads" (without the quotes) and hit enter to change directory into your downloads directory.

20. Michelle says:

Thank you!! I was starting to get frustrated and this worked for me no problem at all.

21. Hiram Celis says:

Thanks Stefan, this works! (I just wait to finish Windows Installer process (Task Manager), because there are no user interface.

Cool!

22. Kler says:

Excuse me. But I can not run the item 5. Could you explain Qu? thank you

23. jhon says:

Excuse me. But do not get the item 5. Could you elaborate? Thank you

24. Hi Kler or Jhon, if you download WLW from:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials you don’t have to follow the steps I described earlier. It should just instal without any exta needed steps.

/Stefan

25. Deva [MSFT] says:

Great stuff. Works great.

26. Joe Mezzanini says:

27. Hi. I have a different problem with WLW – and I really miss being able to use it. No problems installing the program on Windows 10 – but it does not work. Looks fine – but in the space where the new blog post should be written – there is a blank space, I can see the cursor, but I cannot write on it. No text appears, and the headline space is not accessible at all. Any suggestions?

28. pramudiyanto says:

hi, Stefan
    thanks for the article, but something comin’ up when I started to launch Live Writer and try to set my blog page. it says like this :

A problem occurred while detecting blog settings:
    Unable to cast COM object type ‘mshtml.HTMLDocument.Class’ to interface type ‘WindowsLiveWriter.Writer.Interop.Com.IOIeCommandTargetNullOutputParam’. This Operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID ‘{B722BCCB-4E68-101B-A2BC-00AA00404770}’ failed due to the following error: No such interface supported(exception from HRESULT:0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).

any help for this error? thanks

29. Sasha says:

Thank you!! Just switched to Windows 10 and have been going crazy with all of the incompatibility issues I’ve run into so far… ugh.

30. loretta cobbson says:

thanks so much

31. Clint Huffman says:

Yay! I really like the Live Writer and this worked on Windows 10. Thanks for the post!

32. it is no longer available to download.
    Note
    Windows Essentials 2012 suite reached end of support on January 10, 2017

Learn more

1. Hi Umit,

Thanks for the information.

/Stefan

2. Gulab Prasad says:

I just downloaded and installed it, working just fine for me!

33. eddie says:

that essentials link doesn’t show wlsetup-all-exe

1. Hi Eddie,

This blog post is getting old and I would suggest to install Open Live Writer.

Check the following website: http://openlivewriter.org/

/Stefan

34. auss11 says:

I followed the following steps.

35. auss11 says:

I followed the following steps.