SharePoint 2013/2016 and .NET framework 4.7

I recently received some questions about supportability of SharePoint 2013 and 2016 with .NET framework 4.7 which is now being pushed out via Microsoft Update.

.NET framework 4.7 is supported as well with SharePoint 2013 and with SharePoint Server 2016.

Comments (9)

  1. Sagar says:

    Hello Stefan,

    Thank you for this post. Is it also compatible with SharePoint 2010? In order that SharePoint 2013 should work with .Net framework 4.7, does it SharePoint needs to be on a specific CU?

    1. Hi Sagar,
      SharePoint 2010 uses CLR 2.0 (.NET 3.5) – not CLR 4.0.
      So SharePoint 2010 does not make use of .NET 4.x.

  2. Steffen says:

    It is possible to install SharePoint 2013 if .Net 4.7 is already installed or it is necessary to uninstall it before install SharePoint 2013 and reinstall after that? Similar .Net 4.6

    1. Hi Steffen,
      for .NET 4.6 the issues was fixed last year:
      For .NET 4.7 I haven’t tried to be honest. I upgraded all my systems and did not try to install a fresh one on .NET 4.7.

      1. 859 says:

        I did try SharePoint 2013 installation with preinstalled .NET 4.7 on Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 and 2012 R2. No issues.
        Just make sure you have this special svrsetup.dll in the “Updates” Folder as described here:

        I also tried SharePoint 2016 installation with preinstalled .NET 4.7 on Windows Server 2016. No issues.

        1. Thanks for the confirmation!

  3. Bernd V says:

    Hi Stefan,
    we use SharePoint 2016 on Server 2016.
    After installing the .NET Framework 4.7 Update we got an internal server error 500 on all of our web applications.

    In the Event Log we saw an ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0 Error ID 1325:
    Message: Loading this assembly would produce a different grant set from other instances. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131401)

    We found a workaround for our problem in the following blog post:

    We could reproduce the error on our Dev and Test Farm.

    Best regards,

    1. Hi Bernd,
      I haven’t see such a problem on any of my system.
      Sounds to me as if you have a 3rd party component installed which badly interacts here (similar to the AgentProfiler in the example in the article you quoted).

  4. Adam S says:

    Thanks for the information.

Skip to main content