SharePoint 2013 installer now supports .NET Framework 4.6 and above

The SharePoint installer released with SharePoint 2013 is not able to detect the most recent .NET Framework versions and incorrectly reports that .NET 4.5 needs to be installed first.

We just released a fix for the problem with the SharePoint 2013 installer if the machine has .NET Framework 4.6 or above installed.

Install location for the fix and instructions can be found in the following KB:

• KB 3087184 - SharePoint 2013 or Project Server 2013 Setup error if the .NET Framework 4.6 is installed

1. Caspar Cui says:

It fixed a big problem.

2. TARUN00197 says:

Thanks for sharing. It saved my day..

3. Raj says:

Great! It saved my time

4. staygo1 says:

Thank you so much! I was stuck on that hang-up for months.

5. Thierry says:

Thanks for sharing this Stefan.

What I don’t understand is why has MS not included this in their latest release of the SharePoint 2013 setup. I know it’s no longer the latest version but if you’re going to leave a product downloadable, you should either include such a critical fix or put a big red warning on the download page with a redirect to this KB. I downloaded 2013 yesterday and I’ve wasted my entire morning with installation problems including this one. Very frustrating.

1. Hi Thierry,
      the latest release of SharePoint 2013 is the slipstream install SharePoint 2013 with SP1. this was released February 2014.
      .NET framework 4.6 was released in year 2015.
      So I think it is clear now why .NET 4.6 support could not be added in the latest released SharePoint 2013 version.
      Cheers,
      Stefan

6. Jean says:

Microsoft today decided to joke with me. The link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3087184 goes to a blank page.

1. Hi Jean,
      I tested the link and it works fine. Seems to be an issue on your end.
      Cheers,