SharePoint security fixes released with August 2015 PU and offered through Microsoft Update

With August 2015 PU we have released a security fix for SharePoint which are offered through Microsoft Update.

For the following SharePoint products and components fixes have been released:

SharePoint 2007 Suite:

• none

SharePoint 2010 Suite:

• Word Automation Services 2010
  • Word Web Apps 2010

SharePoint 2013 Suite:

• Word Automation Services 2013
  • Microsoft Office Web Apps 2013

See the security bulletin MS15-081 below for more details and KB number for the relevant fixes:

1. Bob Condas says:

I think I've seen this asked before, but does psconfig need to be run after installing a SharePoint security update? Thanks

2. Hi Bob,
    all SharePoint fixes need PSConfig.
    Cheers,
    Stefan

3. Bob Hyatt says:

Thanks Stefan, another quick question please. If I'm out of date on my SharePoint security patches, is there any easy way to bring them up to date, or see what needs to be installed? Thanks

4. Bob Hyatt says:

So, can I install several security patches, and then run psconfig? Or, do I need to run psconfig after installing each patch?

Thanks again….

5. Hi Bob,
    Microsoft Update shows you all missing security fixes. So you can install them from there.
    And you only have to run PSConfig once at the very end.
    Cheers,
    Stefan

6. Erick says:

Stefan, does applying the security fix only (and not the CU for this month) change any of the build numbers? Thank you.

7. Hi Erick,
    sure – it updates components of Word Automation Services.
    So the dlls of this components will have newer build numbers.
    Cheers,
    Stefan

8. Pen says:

Hi Stefan, after running the Windows Updates and the August CU we are no longer able to 'follow' any content, with the following error:
    Sorry, we couldn't follow the document.

Technical Details
    Unexpected response from server. The status code of response is '400'. The status text of response is 'Bad Request'.

Any ideas how we can fix this?

Many thanks

Pen

9. Hi Pen,
    this is not a known issue. I would recommend to open a support case with Microsoft.
    Cheers,
    Stefan

10. Hi Pen, Hi Stefan says:

I experience the same problem after running Security Update August. I noticed that in CA the update status is missing/required for KB3054858 on one server. I tried to reinstall but I´ve got the error: The expected version of the product was not found.
    I open a support case with Microsoft. I just want to let you know.

11. Ralf says:

Same Problem as mentioned above. "Follow" function is broken.

Technical Details:

Interesting fact: Its working on my admin station. On all other clients "Follow" is not working. Testet on IE10, IE11, Edge and Firefox. So it's not browser related. Also getting the error using farm administrators account on a regular client.

12. Hi Ralf,
    as always: please open a support case to get the issue analyzed.
    Cheers,
    Stefan

13. sridhar says:

Hi Ralf / Pen, We are also receiving the same error message when tried to 'Follow' site. Could you please let us know the fix for this issue?

Thanks,
    Sridhar

14. Hi Sridhar,
    did you run the psconfig ui wizard or the command line tool?
    The issue can happen when using the command line tool with insufficient parameter:

Cheers,