August 2015 CU for SharePoint 2013 is available for download

The product group released the August 2015 Cumulative Update for the SharePoint 2013 product family.

For August 2015 CU we have full server packages (also known as Uber packages). No other CU is required to fully patch SharePoint.

As this is a common question: Yes, August 2015 CU includes all fixes from August 2015 PU.

ATTENTION:

Be aware that all Updates for SharePoint 2013 require SharePoint Server 2013 SP1 to be installed first.

Please also have a look at the article that discusses how to properly patch a SharePoint 2013 farm which has Search enabled (see below).

Previous releases of the SharePoint Server 2013 cumulative update included both the executable and the .CAB file in the same self-extracting executable download. Because of the file size, the SharePoint Server 2013 package has been divided into several separate downloads. One contains the executable file, while the others contain the CAB file. All are necessary and must be placed in the same folder to successfully install the update. All are available by clicking the same Hotfix Download Available link in the KB article for the release.

This CU includes all SharePoint 2013 fixes (including all SharePoint 2013 security fixes) released since SP1. The CU does not include SP1. You need to install SP1 before installing this CU.

The KB articles for August CU should be available at the following locations in a couple of hours:

• KB 3055004 – SharePoint Foundation 2013 August 2015 CU
  • KB 3055009 – SharePoint Server 2013 August 2015 CU
  • KB 3055005 – SharePoint Server 2013 with Project Server August 2015 CU
  • KB 3055003 – Office Web Apps Server 2013 August 2015 CU – This is also a security fix!

The Full Server Packages for August 2015 CU are available through the following links:

Important: If your farm has been on a patch level lower than July 2015 CU: Unlike other CUs – after installing the August 2015 CU you need to run the SharePoint 2013 Products Configuration Wizard on each machine in the farm.
If you don't run PSCONFIG after installing August 2015 CU (on a farm which had a lower patch level than July 2015 CU) crawl might no longer work – so ensure to schedule a maintenance window when installing this CU which includes PSCONFIG runs.

See here for detail: http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2015/07/15/important-psconfig-is-mandatory-for-July-2015-cu-for-sharepoint-2013.aspx

Be aware that the SharePoint Server 2013 CU contains the SharePoint Foundation CU. And the SharePoint Server 2013 with Project Server CU contains Project Server CU, SharePoint Server CU and SharePoint Foundation CU.

[Update, Sept. 8th, 2015] Be aware that there is a known issue related to the installation of August 2015 CU for SP2013. Ensure to read this article before applying the patch.

Related Info:

1. Manjiri says:

Hi Stephen,
    I tried applying August 2015 CU to see if it fixes Time ZoneId error (as mentioned in JUly 2015 CU) . I applied August 2015 CU on machine running July2015Cu . Run Psconfig , run crawl , however I am still getting exact same issue as before "Field or property
    "TimeZoneId" does not exist " when performing search.
    I am able to reproduce by doing following
    Search for a file
    When results are presented , retype or change the query and this time you get an error "Field or property "TimeZoneId" does not exist "in sp2013 " in search center .

I have also verified that we do have Rerelease SP1 for all SharePoint components i.e version 15.0.4571.1502

Thanks

2. Hi Manjiri,

I’m not sure which problem you refer to – but did you see a KB article stating that this issue should be fixed in August?
    Did you raise a support case with Microsoft to report the issue or has someone else reported that issue to Microsoft through official channels?

Stefan

Ya tenemos disponibles las actualizaciones acumuladas tanto de SharePoint 2010 como de SharePoint 2013

4. Hey Stefan,

I'm experiencing the same issue as a lot of people with the July 2015 CU. When running search it returns with an error "Field or property "TimeZoneId" does not exist." Looks like some people are fixing this by replacing the Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.ServerProxy.dll
    file with one that was not affected. Unfortunately I don't have one of those. =[

5. Hi Clayton,

I double checked and it seems that no customer reported that to us through a support case – so we cannot investigate on this.

6. Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the quick response. I resolved the issue by replacing the Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.ServerProxy.dll file in IIS directory with the newer copy in the 15 hive.

Thanks!

7. Failed identification? says:

Am I the only one getting "failed identification" before even extracting the files this update? On 2 of my 3 DEV servers it installs fine but on the third one I'm getting that error (but in my local language so translation may be off) when i try to install
    it. I get as far as the "do you want to run as admin" dialogue and the next one where I tick the checkbox and then it's supposed to extract files. Only mine doesn't. But only on one server? This is weird behavior…
    // Kris

8. Hi Kris,

did you use the same hotfix binaries on all machines?
    Because it sounds as if the download files you are using are corrupt.
    Can you paste the original error message (without translation)?

Thanks,
    Stefan

Buenas, Ya podemos descargarnos la Actualización Pública para Project 2013 y Project Server 2013 , correspondiente

10. Kris says:

Hello Stefan,
    I have rebooted, ran Windows Update, no luck.
    I have re-downloaded the entire packs directly on the server just to eliminate corrupt files, no luck.
    I have retried it as every user I can think of, even the domain administrator, no luck.
    The install goes through fine on my CA/Search/Index server and my web front end server. The server that it isn't working on is our BI server, which has a local SQL2014 install with Powerpivot, Reporting Services etc.

The error I'm getting is the one triggered by "OPatchInstall: Property 'PACKAGE.PROMPT.DETECTIONERROR' value 'Det gick inte att köra identifieringen.'. Screenshot is located here

All my farms are SharePoint 2013 Enterprise (English install, no language packs), SP1 and May 2015 CU.

Kind regards // Kris

11. Hi Kris,

thanks for these details!

From the error message the problem is not the patch you downloaded – it might be that the installation database on your machine which holds the information about previously installed products and patches is corrupt or that files in the installer folders (C:windowsinstaller
    or c:windowssoftwaredistribution) got corrupted.

Without further analysis it is not possible to identify if the issue can be resolved without reinstalling the whole box. I would recommend to open a support case with Microsoft to get this analyzed in more details.

12. W Jack says:

Ran into the same issue with the 'Field or Property TimezoneId Does not exist' and the proposed fix mentioned above sorted the issue out.

Copied the Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.ServerProxy.dll (Version 15.0.4687.1000) from C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedWeb Server Extensions15CONFIGBIN and replaced the same file in the _app_bin folder of the SharePoint sites (in all web
    front ends) after stopping the Sites in IIS first.
    Thanks for the information pointing to the issue.
    William

13. Vinny N says:

We installed the new patch over this weekend and now are having users complaining they can't attach a file to a list item. It produces a "File names can't contain the following characters: & " ? < > # { } % ~ / ." even though the filename is simple and
    doesn't have any of those characters. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

14. Hi Vinny,
    I would suggest to open a support case with Microsoft if you need an investigation of the issue.

15. Vinny N says:

Yes, we have a ticket open with Microsoft and they were able to replicate this on their environment. Waiting on a fix from them.

16. dsingh1980 says:

Kris,
    Did you find solution? I’m seeing the same issue, and also running with SP1 and May 2015 CU.
    Thanks!

17. Dheepa says:

Hi,
    I am setting up a new farm with SP2013 with SP1, applied re-released Sp1 and then Aug 2015 CU over windows 2012 r2 and the CU is failing (Installation failed). Am I doing anything wrong?

18. Hi Dheepa,
    the steps you outlined should work. If you can’t sort it out yourself I would recommend to open a support case with Microsoft.

19. Marina says:

We also have problem with the TimeZoneID property introduced by CU July 2015. There is an incident opened and Microsoft has confirmed the problem was indeed introduced by CU JUly 2015. There is no solution yet and they are looking into it.

Cheers

20. Kris says:

A little feedback on the issue I saw in our DEV environment: (@dsingh1980)
    The problem originated from a corrupt c:windowsinstaller folder. Without it ubersvr just couldn't tell what was installed and what wasn't.

– With the help of Microsoft support engineer, restore most of it with a tool known as OPUtil.vbs (but that might be internal MS stuff) I was able to rebuil most of the c:windowsinstaller files from the Test / Production server.
    – When running ubersvr it would go on to the installation phase but still fail.
    – Checking the log showed exactly which MSP file couldn't install it.
    – I extracted the ubersvr package and ran the MSP file manually which went fine.
    – I then ran the ubersvr exe again and it failed on another MSP.
    – I repeated the above steps to manually install the failing MSP file and after about 4 failed attempts it succesfully installed.
    – Ran psconfig wizzard on all server.
    – Done!

Although I really, REALLY wouldn't recommend this in a production environment. But it will be interesting to see what happens next time!

Regards // Kris

21. dsingh1980 says:

Hi All,
    Seems something wrong with August 2015 CU, it faling. I tried in 2 different farms and saw same results. I’m running SharePoint 2013 with SP1 and May 2015 CU. Is anyone found similar issue?

Error in logs: "Microsoft Shared Coms English Language Pack – Update ‘Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB3055009) 64-Bit Edition’ could not be installed"
    Thanks in advance!

22. dsingh1980 says:

@Kris
    Do you think Microsoft is going to re-release August CU?
    Thanks!

23. Dheepa says:

I am seeing the same error – "Product: Microsoft Shared Coms English Language Pack – Update 'Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB3055009) 64-Bit Edition' could not be installed. Error code 1603" .

On one of the farms, I restarted the server – ran the install – ran ps config and did the steps many times and one time it succeeded. It looks like we need to run the same installer many times to get past all the errors. Not sure if this is the right way to
    do it though.

24. Piotr Siódmak says:

@Kris: once I saw the problem you described. It was caused by a "system cleaner" application that removed files from C:WindowsInstaller. As described here –
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2667628 – you should never remove them, so make sure to steer clear from any "magical" system cleaners that promise to free up gigabytes of space. Those programs
    are just useless.

25. Kris says:

@dsingh1980
    I don't see why they should based on this issue. It was a very localized issue on one server, and it was more of a Windows issue than SharePoint issue. I had to perform the same steps to get SQL updated on the same server so this is a corrupted Windows, nothing
    bad with the CU itself as far as I know, except this TimeZoneID issue people are having.

I also got your error message. What I did was extract the entire ubersvr package (just add "/extract" to it in a windows command prompt) and I ran the "x-none" MSP files manually and then I ran the CU update again. Hope it works for you and I hope it's not
    a production server because then it might be best to reinstall it.

// Kris

26. Manjiri says:

Thanks Marina for the update about "TimeZoneId" issue. Looks like many users are facing similar issue. Waiting to hear back from MS.

27. Divesh says:

After august CU is installed i see this error in ULS "Original error: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.String Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfile.get_FollowPersonalSiteUrl()'.

at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileServerStub.GetProperty(Object target, String propName, ProxyContext proxyContext)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerStub.GetPropertyWithMonitoredScope(Object target, String propertyName, ProxyContext proxyContext)"

28. Hi Divesh,

please compare the version of the Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ServerStub.dll in the c:inetpubwwwrootwss\_app_bin directory with the one in C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedWeb Server Extensions15CONFIGBIN directory.
    It might be that the dll did not get updated when running PSCONFIG.
    If that is the case, please backup the version in the _app_bin directory and copy the version from 15CONFIGBIN to the _app_bin directory to fix the issue.

29. Hi Divesh,
    actually please try the following Powershell CmdLet rather than manually copying the dll:
    Install-SPApplicationContent
    That should take care of the copy.

30. Piotr Siódmak says:

Install-SPApplicationContent is the same as psconfig -cmd applicationcontent -install. So probably some updates require more than just psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait. It could be that psconfigui does just that, so that's why not everyone has
    experienced this issue.

31. Hi Piotr,
    the UI version of PSConfig will run all tasks that it identifies necessary.
    In the commandline version the user has to choose the tasks.
    So indeed the UI version would be the recommended method to prevent such problems.

32. Divesh says:

Hi Stefan,

I compared both DLL versions as you suggested they were same and updated at same time , just to validate i copied Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ServerStub.dll from other server where CU was not installed to the one where CU was installed and i don't
    see the error any more happening .

Actually I noticed this error when i was trying to execute the below code in CSOM

ProfileLoader loader = ProfileLoader.GetProfileLoader(clientContext);
    Web web = clientContext.Web;
    UserProfile profile = loader.GetUserProfile();
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.Site personalSite = profile.PersonalSite;
    clientContext.Load(web.CurrentUser);
    clientContext.Load(loader);
    clientContext.Load(personalSite);
    clientContext.ExecuteQuery();

ExecuteQuery() failed by throwing the exception "400 Bad Request" when i looked at ULS i saw this error

33. Hi Divesh,
    copying a dll from a server with a different patch level would be unsupported. Ensure to open a support case with Microsoft to get this analyzed.

34. Divesh says:

Alright , thank you

35. Bjørn Kjetil Lie says:

Hello
    Any bugfix to this issue: List attachments give "File names can't contain the following characters:" message
    Described a fix here:
    But to MS provide a patch?

36. Marina says:

The solution to the TimeZoneID problem some of us are having is to run configuration wizard from UI, not form the command line. I just tested it and the farm and search look fine. Cheers

37. Hi Bjørn,
    A fix to correct the issue is in the works and should be included in a future CU.
    The workaround right now is to create the list item without attachment and then to attach the document using the ribbon.

38. Buah says:

Hello,

We had also installer problems. Installation fails two times with following error messages.

Reboot after each installation attempt and then re-run the installer. The third attempt is successful.
    IIS application pools had to be started manually.

Product: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2013 1033 Lang Pack – Update 'Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB3055009) 64-Bit Edition' could not be installed. Error code 1603.
    Product: Microsoft Shared Coms English Language Pack – Update 'Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB3055009) 64-Bit Edition' could not be installed. Error code 1603.

39. Gurdeep says:

I am applying this via AutoSPSourceBuilder. I'm at the extract step prior to binaries install but it takes an age to extract – is there anything that can be done to speed this up?

Thanks

40. Marina says:

Hi Gurdeep,

have a look at
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/russmax/archive/2013/04/01/why-sharepoint-2013-cumulative-update-takes-5-hours-to-install.aspx. We stopped using AutoSpInstaller to install the updates and adopted the script from the blog. It works very well. You don't have to extract
    anything and it takes minutes not hours to install. Cheers

41. gmj says:

I had the same "The installation of this package failed." issue as did Dheepa 18 Aug 2015 12:29 AM (and similar failed install reports for the July CU). I re-downloaded the files this morning and found increased file sizes for ubersrv2013-kb3055009-fullfile-x64-glb.EXE
    (1,498,220,048 vs. 1,355,013,088 bytes) and Ubersrv_1.CAB (1,498,170,808 vs. 1,421,251,640 bytes). With the new binaries, the CU progresses farther, but ultimately, still fails. [Just curious … not sure how the .EXE even worked if it was truncated … did
    MS re-post these files?]

42. Hi Gmj,
    the fix was not rereleased. The file sizes you report as "new" are the expected file sizes.
    Not sure why you got truncated files on first download.

43. Jerry Cote says:

This is my log file failure point for the August 2015 CU. Both CAB files are in the same directory, on the D: volume, with the executable. I am patching through from SP1, with no CU's run in between:

CAQuietExec:
    CAQuietExec: Error 0x8007000d: Command line returned an error.
    CAQuietExec: Error 0x8007000d: CAQuietExec Failed
    CustomAction RegisterPerfmonManifest returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    MSI (s) (18:28) [15:17:29:992]: Note: 1: 2265 2: 3: -2147287035
    MSI (s) (18:28) [15:17:29:992]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    MSI (s) (18:28) [15:17:29:992]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    Action ended 15:17:29: InstallExecute. Return value 3.

Where do I go from here? Is it necessary to run it all from the C volume? should I just go back to April 2015? (that's the minimum I need for the UserProfileSynch on SQL 2014 fix)

44. Hi Jerry,
    I would recommend to open a support ticket with Microsoft to get this analyzed.

45. Jerry Cote says:

Thanks Stefan. Actually, it ran clean overnight from the C: volume. As with anything, it could have failed for any number of non-reproducible reasons, but that's the one difference between my failure and success, D-volume versus C-volume.

46. Rémi says:

Hi, exactly same issue as Jerry on a W2008 R2 SP1.

47. Hi Rémi,
    same advise as for Jerry: if you cannot resolve it yourself you should open a support case with Microsoft to get it analyzed.

48. Rémi says:

After multiple retry (without changing anything to the OS), the patch is now installing correctly… Sounds like a bug in the process

The Problem The August 2015 Cumulative Update for SharePoint 2013 was released earlier this month as

50. Leena says:

Hi Stefan,

On SharPoint server 2013 farm, do I need to install SharePoint Foundation 2013 CU as well?

Regards,

51. Hi Leena,
    The answer is in my blog post: "Be aware that the SharePoint Server 2013 CU contains the SharePoint Foundation CU".

53. Ciprian says:

Hi,

I had a new installation of Win 2012 R2 with all the updates up to date. Then i've downloaded SharePoint 2013 with SP1 included, and installed it on the server. All was fine. Now i needed to install latest CU, and i tried to use August 2015, but i receive the
    error: The installation of this package failed.
    Then i tried with July 2015 CU and result is the same.
    PS: i didn't run any kind of configuration wizard to create the farm, as i need to install all the binaries, and then to configure the farm.
    Can you tell me what i'm doing wrong here? From my point of view i have no problem to open a case with Microsoft, but if they will ask to pay for this, then this is wrong, as what's the point?

Thanks and hope you can help me somehow,
    Ciprian

54. Hi Cripian,
    the issue you describe can happen with August CU – but it should not with July CU.
    If it continues with July CU I would recommend to open a support case with Microsoft as this is not a known issue.

55. Ciprian says:

Hi Stefan,

Well i discovered it was my mistake. In the download link (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48560) there are 3 files: ubersrv2013-kb3055009-fullfile-x64-glb ,
    ubersrv_1, ubersrv_2. Me i was downloading only exe file. After i tried several times, and installation still failed, i've downloaded the other two cab files, and started the installation again. After third time with all the files in the same folder, installation
    was completed, so indeed i can confirm that the workaround with installation of August CU 3 times is working.

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Ciprian

56. xMarcus says:

Stefan,

Awesome blog, this is always my go-to resources to CU updates. I’m hoping you can point me in the right direction. The August CU claims to provide fixes for Chrome deprecating NPAPI which enables a multitude of functionality in SharePoint, none the least of
    which is ability to click links to Office documents and launch the corresponding Office application in the context of SharePoint so that check in/out, save, document information panel, etc. work.

The CU doesn’t have any fix for this, it just forwards Chrome over to Office Web Apps now. Can you recommend a good place to surface this as an issue? Collectively we have known Chrome is disabling NPAPI for almost a year and my clients/users expect to have
    an ETA for a fix.

Thanks!!
    Marcus

57. Hi Marcus,
    where did you read that August CU fixes these issues?
    Regarding your question: always open a support case if you see a need for a fix. Using a support case allows you to raise such concerns.

58. xMarcus says:

Thanks Stefan,

I can give a support case a try, but its a pay-per-incident situation for me :-/

Per you question, the first item in the fixes section of this kb vaguely states fixes for NPAPI

Ben’s also hints at some repairs in the August CU in his Blog. (Pardon my demeanor in my first comment on his blog, I’m frustrated and exhausted with this issue)

Thanks,
    Marcus

59. xMarcus says:

yikes I just re-read that KB item.. its talking about NPAPI ENABLED.

I’m dizzy now and about to pass out…. A fix was addressed and release in a SharePoint CU to support NPAPI in Chrome, not 3 weeks before the know deprecation of NPAPI in Chrome???

60. ML49448 says:

Hello together,
    did anyone tested ne CU Update with Chrome Version 45 without NPAPI? Does the fix of the KB3055015 include a workaround for the problems? I read here (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e6944dca-8b1e-47d0-bc30-7814ef2e6d4b/google-chrome-without-npapi-plugin-support-for-sharepoint-2013?forum=sharepointadmin)
    that the workaround is a simple redirection to Office Web Apps.
    So my question to people with a Chrome 45 and SharePoint 2013 August CU Update:
    1. Does Chrome still work fine?
    2. Does the behaviour (redirect to OfficeWebApp) also appears in other browsers like IE or FireFox?

61. kane says:

Has anyone else ran into this issue on the August 2015 CU for SharePoint 2013? We are using promoted links that have several links that point to a file share. For example – file://servername/filename.docx. When the launch behavior is set to "In Page Navigation"
    and you use the Promoted Links view, we get INVALID PAGE URL: message.