April 2015 CU for SharePoint 2013 has been released (updated April 15th)

The product group released the April 2015 Cumulative Update for the SharePoint 2013 product family.

For April 2015 CU we have full server packages (also known as Uber packages). No other CU is required to fully patch SharePoint.

ATTENTION:

In case you have a SharePoint 2013 server based on the SP1 slipstream installation ensure to read this article.

Be aware that all Updates for SharePoint 2013 require SharePoint Server 2013 SP1 to be installed first.

Please also have a look at the article that discusses how to properly patch a SharePoint 2013 farm which has Search enabled (see below).

Previous releases of the SharePoint Server 2013 cumulative update included both the executable and the .CAB file in the same self-extracting executable download. Because of the file size, the SharePoint Server 2013 package has been divided into several separate downloads. One contains the executable file, while the others contain the CAB file. All are necessary and must be placed in the same folder to successfully install the update. All are available by clicking the same Hotfix Download Available link in the KB article for the release.

This CU includes all SharePoint 2013 fixes released since SP1. The CU does not include SP1. You need to install SP1 before installing this CU.

The KB articles for April CU will be available at the following locations in a couple of days:

• KB 2965261 - SharePoint Foundation 2013 April 2015 CU
  • KB 2965266 - SharePoint Server 2013 April 2015 CU
  • KB 2965263 - SharePoint Server 2013 with Project Server April 2015 CU
  • KB 2965306 - Office Web Apps Server 2013 April 2015 CU - This is also a security fix!
  • KB 2965254 - Server Proofing Tools April 2015 CU - This fix needs to be installed separatelly

The Full Server Packages for April 2015 CU are available through the following links:

After installing the fixes you need to run the SharePoint 2013 Products Configuration Wizard on each machine in the farm.

Be aware that the SharePoint Server 2013 CU contains the SharePoint Foundation CU. And the SharePoint Server 2013 with Project Server CU contains Project Server CU, SharePoint Server CU and SharePoint Foundation CU.

Related Info:

1. anonymouscommenter says:

FYI: The April 14, 2015 cumulative update for SharePoint Server 2013 (KB2965266, the one you link to) article does not list KB2965254 as part of the CU. KB2965254 is listed on the "update for Office" KB article (KB3050766).

2. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan,
    I am confused….:-(
    In February policy was changed to deliver updates for the servers via Microsoft Update.
    In March it ws changed to deliver only security updates automatically, but not functional updates (so I understood).
    When I now look into the KB article for Project Server April PU,
    https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/kb/2965263 it says that there is the security update
    https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/kb/2965278 included. But the security update contains functional changes… So we will get this April PU automatically (where this is not blocked) ?
    Thanks a lot
    Christoph

3. Hi Christoph,
    its not that complicated: if a dll is shipped as part of a security update you will get this new version of the dll. If other changes were done on the same dll you will get these as well.

You cannot expect to get just parts of a dll (e.g.)
    The smallest unit shipped is actually bigger than a dll as dlls usually have dependencies on other components.

With other words: if a security fix is shipped for a specific subcomponent of SharePoint/Project server you automatically also get all the other changes that have been done to the files in this component.

To prevent automatic installation of SharePoint / Project Server updates you can change your windows update settings to only search for windows updates and not for updates of other Microsoft products (Windows update rather than Microsoft Update)

4. Hi Piotr,
    as you can see 2965254 is listed separately in my blog above for exactly this reason.

5. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan
    thanks. That makes sense 🙂
    Christoph

6. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan,
    i cannot install the CU although i have SP1 installed (Version 15.0.4571.1502). I always get the message "The expected version of the product was not found on the system". any ideas?

Thanks a lot
    Dominik

7. Hi Dominik,
    I guess you have some language packs installed and one of the language packs is not on the rereleased SP1 level.

8. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan,

yes, my language pack is on …1506. So reinstalling the rereleased SP1 language pack should fix this i guess?

Thanks a lot
    Dominik

9. Correct. The CU contains fixes for all languages. If there is a package in the CU which does not have a proper baseline the CU will not install.

10. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan,
    Can you gie me a link to the right language pack (German)? Unfortunately i can only find the download for version 1506 :(.

Thanks in advance

Dominik

11. Great article. Thank you.

12. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan,

I have install this CU and unfortunately I am still have the issue where the CreatePage.aspx page did not redirect when new page created in page library – issue reported here:

I was wondering any plans to release fix for this? or shall I open a ticket for this?
    Many thanks
    Ali

13. Hi Ali,
    this issue is currently scheduled for May CU but without guarantee

14. anonymouscommenter says:

Thank you very much Stefan! Now it is Working.

Regards
    Dominik

15. anonymouscommenter says:

Thanks Stefan. Looking forward to it.
    Cheers
    Ali

16. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan
    I downloaded SharePoint 2013 TechNet 180 day evaluation and was surprised to see that it was just SharePoint 2013 (No SP1). Which has now gone out of support. So I downloaded SharePoint 2013 from my MSDN Subscription and the build number was 15.0.4569.1506
    So that was no good. Surely Microsoft should keep the versions which can be downloaded at least at the correct build (15.0.4571.1502) so that future CUs can be installed successfully or have a warning on the download page saying what you need to do to make
    the version updateable with other CUs. So that people who are trying SharePoint for the first time can be up and running in the shortest time so they can start evaluating at the earliest time.

Regards

Nigel

17. anonymouscommenter says:

Buenas, Ya está disponible la Actualización Pública para Project 2013 y Project Server 2013 , correspondiente

18. anonymouscommenter says:

Hello Stefan,

I noticed that this CU only consisted of 2 files where the previous CUs had 3. Would you happen to know why?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Morgan

19. Hi Morgan,
    previous CUs could be installed as well on RTM and on SP1.
    This CU can only be installed on SP1.
    So the number of fixes included is smaller.

20. anonymouscommenter says:

I tried to install this CU on top of the a system with the Feb 2015 CU, but it says the product update does not apply. I see a previous comment that language packs may be an issue, however we don't use any additional language packs. Any ideas?

21. Hi Jim,
    did you install the re-released SP1 on this system?
    Feb CU just updates the patch level – not the patch baseline.
    The patch baseline is only updated with a service pack.

22. anonymouscommenter says:

Stefan
    I used 2013 server with SP1 integrated into it as the basis for the deployment on 2012R2 (ISO was integrated, not me doing any type of slipstreaming). The ISO I used is still the current one on MSDN. The versions I have are 15.0.4569.1506, 15.0.4631.1001 (July
    2014 CU) and 15.0.4693.1001 (Feb 2015 CU). How can I identify the original versus the re-released SP1?

23. anonymouscommenter says:

Following my tradition in presenting a summarized "Build Numbers Cube Sheet" as I did so before

24. anonymouscommenter says:

The results were:
    DisplayName : Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013
    DisplayVersion : 15.0.4569.1506

and all components are also 15.0.4569.1506

So from your link I take that to be the original SP1 and will therefore try applying the updated SP1 to see if that lets the April 2015 CU apply. Nevertheless it seems odd to me that the February 2015 CU installed OK. I would have though it would have failed
    for the same reason.

25. Hi Jim,
    that is not odd, that is expected!
    Feb CU had two supported patch baselines: RTM and the rereleased SP1.
    On your system it installed, because if the RTM baseline.
    Since April CU RTM is no longer supported. So April CU only installs on the (rereleased) SP1 baseline.

26. anonymouscommenter says:

Stefan
    The double upgrade of re-released SP1 and April 2015 CU applied successfully. As for your comment that it is expect behavior; clearly I did not read your post on the April 2015 CU correctly even though there is a nicely highlighted in yellow link. Thanks you
    for your help and patience.

27. anonymouscommenter says:

Here is a summary of some news, Announcements and other interesting stuff. send out "randomly"

28. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan, I plan to install the April CU, after installing March CU, because I am trying to fix a problem with the Incremental crawl, it runs but did not return any document. But the full crawl works correctly. Do you think the April CU will fix this
    problem (I used french version of SharePoint 2013). Thanks in advance!

29. Hi Ben,
    I haven’t heard about such a problem.
    If the latest CU does not solve it I would recommend to open a support case to get this analyzed.

30. anonymouscommenter says:

Stefan,

I went to Control Panel > Programs and Features > and all I see "Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013" Version 15.0.4569.1506 and this install would not work. I get "The expected version of the product was not found on the system". What do to? I did not install
    any Language pack. The configuration wizard has not been run yet because I wanted to be done with latest CU. Any idea?

Amber

31. Hi Amber,
    This is the version of the first SP1 release. In order to install April CU you need to install the rereleased SP1 on top.

32. anonymouscommenter says:

Stefan,

The re-released version worked great. Now the version is from Control Panel 15.0.4571.1502 (Microsoft SharePoint Serve 2013) . When I ran the April 2015 CU from powershell (PS Z:> & '2015 Aprilubersrv2013-kb2965266-fullfile-x64-glb.exe'), I got the accept
    terms window, after checking the box and clicking ok, it sat on the extractions window for few hours then I finally received "The installation is complete". It did not ask me to reboot. Also, the version is showing the same as above after the CU install. How
    do I verify whether the CU really took place or not? for example, verify the build number 15.0.4711.1000?

33. Hi Amber,
    sounds to me as if you did not run PSCONFIG after installing April CU.

34. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan,

What can I do when a CU promises to fix a problem and it does not? is there a link to open the issue with MS?

What I am talking about is the issue related to starting workflows manually on a list item in SharePoint Server 2013, which works only for users who have at least Contribute access to the site where the list is located.

The first improvement / fix mentioned in this article (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2965219 – part of the April 2015 CU) is exactly about this problem.

After installing the CU, the message I get as a user with Full Control to the list and Read access to the site when trying to access the Workflows page to start a workflow manually is not "Sorry, this site hasn't been shared with you." anymore, instead it is
    "Sorry, you don't have access to this page.". So the problem is still there, but the message is different!

What should I do?
    Is this issue going to be fixed in a next CU?

Thanks

35. Hi Mihail,

it might be that you have a problem with similar symptoms but different root cause – or that the fix does not address your exact scenario as it was built for the scenario of the customer that reported the issue.
    In any case you need to open a support case with Microsoft to verify the issue you are running into.

36. anonymouscommenter says:

HI Stefan

Today i had applied the CU on our Dev farm and after applying the patch and trying to run the PSConfig i am getting the error "Task upgradebootstrap has failed with an unknown exception ,Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related
    or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. " But i was able to access SQL server and instance fine with my account .Also as we have 2 servers in the farm i ran the PSConfig
    on the 2nd Server which is WFE and there the PSconfig got stuck at Step 7 Registering SharePoint features .Can you please suggest

37. anonymouscommenter says:

Central Admin (_admin/PatchStatus.aspx) shows a combination of 4711.1000 and 4571.1502 and this is normal. However, control panel (programs and features) show 4571.1502 version. I guess that fine.

38. Hi Anil,
    check the permissions on the database. The user running PSCONFIG might not have sufficient rights. If you cannot solve it youself I would recommend to open a support case with Microsoft to assist with the analysis.

39. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan,

For April 2015 CU for Server Proofing Tools do I need to install for the Language pack also? Or just the base language installation is required. For e.g I have English verison of SPS install with 3 different language pack, so do i need to install the April
    2015 CU for Server Proofing Tools for just English or the other language as well?

Thanks in advance.

40. Hi Itaab, The installer behind each language are identical. It’s a design in download center that each download needs to define a language it applies to. As SharePoint CUs contain fixes for all languages. The packages have all languages assigned. Download
    Center then gives you the dropdown to select one. But all are identical as outlined above.

41. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan,
    After installing the CU. All the views with filters of any Task list are not working anymore. I can see all the tasks regardless of the filter specified in the view settings. This makes a lot of issues where our users are highly using My Tasks view.
    Regards,
    Marc

42. Hi Marc,
    This issue is solved in May CU.

43. anonymouscommenter says:

I am trying to install the April CU and get the error "There are no products affected by this package installed on this system" I have triple checked that baseline and it is 15.0.4571.1502 and no language packs installed. I am at a loss.

44. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan – I ran April 2015 cu on my SharePoint 2010, but when i check my servers they are showing May 2015 cu build number ? how is it possible? Please help me understand.

ubersrv2010-kb2965294-fullfile-x64-glb.exe PACKAGE.BYPASS.DETECTION.CHECK=1

this is the command i ran.

45. Hi Saritha,
    why did you use the PACKAGE.BYPASS.DETECTION.CHECK setting?
    That setting should only be used if advised by Microsoft Support. Using this setting skips the mandatory checks which ensures that installing a fix cannot lead to an unsupported system due to missing dependencies.
    Regarding your question: I guess you installed some security fixes before or after the CU which were shipped with May CU.

46. anonymouscommenter says:

I’m presenting a summarized "Build Numbers Cube Sheet" as I did so before, so please find

47. anonymouscommenter says: