March 2015 CU for SharePoint 2013 has been released

The product group released the March 2015 Cumulative Update for the SharePoint 2013 product family.

For March 2015 CU we have full server packages (also known as Uber packages). No other CU is required to fully patch SharePoint.

ATTENTION:

Be aware that all Updates for SharePoint 2013 require SharePoint Server 2013 SP1 OR March 2013 PU for SharePoint 2013 to be installed first.

Please also have a look at the article that discusses how to properly patch a SharePoint 2013 farm which has Search enabled (see below).

Previous releases of the SharePoint Server 2013 cumulative update included both the executable and the .CAB file in the same self-extracting executable download. Because of the file size, the SharePoint Server 2013 package has been divided into several separate downloads. One contains the executable file, while the others contain the CAB file. All are necessary and must be placed in the same folder to successfully install the update. All are available by clicking the same Hotfix Download Available link in the KB article for the release.

This CU includes all SharePoint 2013 fixes released since RTM. The CU does not include SP1. You can install SP1 before or after installing this CU.

The KB articles for March CU will be available at the following locations in a couple of days:

• KB 2956159 – SharePoint Foundation 2013 March 2015 CU
  • KB 2956166 – SharePoint Server 2013 March 2015 CU
  • KB 2956162 – SharePoint Server 2013 with Project Server March 2015 CU
  • KB 2956158 – Office Web Apps Server 2013 March 2015 CU – Important: this is also a security update!
  • KB 2956147 – Server Proofing Tools March 2015 CU – This fix needs to be installed separatelly

The Full Server Packages for March 2015 CU are available through the following links:

After installing the fixes you need to run the SharePoint 2013 Products Configuration Wizard on each machine in the farm.

Be aware that the SharePoint Server 2013 CU contains the SharePoint Foundation CU. And the SharePoint Server 2013 with Project Server CU contains Project Server CU, SharePoint Server CU and SharePoint Foundation CU.

Related Info:

1. anonymouscommenter says:

Microsoft acaba de liberar las actualizaciones acumuladas tanto para SharePoint 2010 como para SharePoint

2. anonymouscommenter says:

Hello Stefan , I noticed this KB is not included in the CU

3. Hi Haitham,
    indeed that fix is not included. We already communicated this to the relevant people and hope to have this addressed with our next CU.
    Please install it separately.
    Cheers,
    Stefan

4. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan,

Do we have any update on March 2015 PU? I was just checking the link
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2015/03/10/sharepoint-security-fixes-released-with-march-2015-pu-and-offered-through-microsoft-update.aspx, How to get this installed.

5. Hi Prashant,
    PUs are installed in the same way as CUs.
    After installing the binaries (either by downloading the fixes or by installing through Microsoft update) you need to run PSConfig.
    Cheers,
    Stefan

6. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan, my Server version says "15.0.4701.1000", but the KB says "15.0.4701.1001" – any important difference here?

7. anonymouscommenter says:

Thanks – so best to check the "Patch Status" page?

8. Hi Peter, yes that is far more reliable.

9. anonymouscommenter says:

Hello Stefan, we're experiencing a couple of issues while accessing SharePoint 2013 anonymous sites with IE8. Also we got an other error where SPFieldUser stopped working in an SP2013 with SP2010 UI environment. Did something change with this or the Februar
    CU regarding the supported browser?

10. Hi Andreas, I have not heard about any such problems.
    Please open a support case to ensure that this is investigated.
    Cheers,
    Stefan

11. anonymouscommenter says:

Hello Stefan, thanks for your fast reply. I opened a case and got the reply, that IE8 is no longer fully supported with SharePoint 2013. I'm not sure if you still got an IE8 in reach, but if you bing "aktuare online" and try to open the site using IE8
    you'll receive an error.There was no information about this and now our customer can't serve IE8 users anymore (while I agree, that everyone should stop using it).

12. anonymouscommenter says:

Buenas, Disculpad el retraso en haceros llegar esta información, pero no hemos podido ponernos con ello

13. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan, Would you know if SharePoint security fixes released with March 2015 PU (MS15-022) are included in the March 2015 CU for SharePoint 2013 ? if not, which should be installed first?
    Thanks

14. anonymouscommenter says:

Stefan, Many thanks for your quick response, which is very helpful. With Microsoft releasing SharePoint CU and PU almost every month, it was always a confusion for us. Thanks again for clarifying.
    Love your posts by the way
    Best Regards
    Rohit

15. Johnotech1 says:

Hi Stefan,
    Should the /extract flag work for this server package? I am trying to extract the msp files so I can put them in the updates autospinstaller updates folder but it fails with ‘The installation of this package failed’.

Also is there any supported methodology / guidance for identifying just those msp files required from a CU for English & core to make the size more manageable.
    Cheers
    Chris

16. Hi Chris,
    yes it should work. Did you ensure that all 3 files are located in the same directory before running the extract command?
    Cheers,
    Stefan

17. Johnotech1 says:

Hi Stefan,
    Yes I did and tried it on a SharePoint server, a terminal server and a desktop. I can examine the two .cab files with 7zip and view the msps.

I will download the server package again and retry the extract.
    Is there a supported method for using just the relevant msp files?

18. Johnotech1 says:

Do I have to run the extract on a SharePoint server that has SP1 on?

19. No – should not be required.

20. Johnotech1 says:

Hi Stefan,
    A fresh download and /extract worked, previous package must have been corrupted along the way.

It took 1.5 hours to extract though and I now have 5.15 GB and 1,431 files.
    It would be handy to have a way of selecting just those files I need – if I knew which extensions were required for core & English then could write some PowerShell to copy the ones I need to updates folder or is this a non-starter as it won’t be supported?

21. Hi Rohit,

the problem is that there are dependencies between the packages. So if you miss a single one that is required to be updated due to changes in a different package the resulting system would be unsupported.
    Better prevent such scenario from happening by using all of them.

Cheers,
    Stefan

22. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan,

After Feb 2015 CU full package, it seemed like that the CreatePage.aspx page did not redirect when new page created in page library. I have installed the March 2015 CU full package but unfortunately the issue still exist. Would you know if this issue will be
    fixed as part of April 2015 CU or any other updates?

Many thanks

23. anonymouscommenter says:

do i have to update SharePoint Foundation CU first and then SharePoint Server CU

24. anonymouscommenter says:

what is the process for updating KB 2956166 , i am doing a fresh installation of SharePoint 2013 Server SP1 Enterprise.
    after installing SharePoint do i have to update CU
    i see there are 3 files (ubersrv_1.cab,ubersrv_2.cab and ubersrv2013-kb2956166-fullfile-x64-glb.exe) in KB 2956166 do i have to first extract the cab and then run .exe file

25. Hi Raj,
    the answer is in the blog post above: Don’t extract the cabs. Just place them in the same directory as the exe. Then run the exe.
    Cheers,
    Stefan

26. Hi Raj,
    for the other question: Also answered in the blog post: "Be aware that the SharePoint Server 2013 CU contains the SharePoint Foundation CU"
    Cheers,
    Stefan

27. anonymouscommenter says:

28. anonymouscommenter says:

Hello Stefan,
    Is the Sept 2014 CU included in this package?

29. Hi Charlie,
    its named cumulative update because it contains all previous updates.
    With other words: Yes.
    Cheers,
    Stefan

30. anonymouscommenter says:

Following my tradition in presenting a summarized "Build Numbers Cube Sheet" as I did so before

31. anonymouscommenter says:

Why does it take 2 hours for this update to complete?

32. 2 hours? That’s quick! For me it took much longer.

33. anonymouscommenter says:

Stefan,
    Have you come across or heard about any issues upon the installation of this CU?

34. swanl98 says:

Hi Stefan

Could you give me some advice to resolve this?

I downloaded all 3 files and ran the installation file (ubersrv2013-kb2956166-fullfile-x64-glb) and rebooted the server (got a message to reboot). then I ran SharePoint configuration wizard but got several errors as below indicated products and patches were
    not deteded on the server.

Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013
    Installed Across Server Farm
    Microsoft SharePoint Portal

Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB2956166) 64-Bit Edition (15.0.4701.1001)

Missing on SPSERVERAPP1

All the messages are for KB2956166 but that is what i try to install in the first place.

I tried rerun the installation file but now i got this message

"There are no products affected by this package installed on this system"

Thanks

Swanl

35. Hi Swanl,
    if you have troubles too install a fix please open a support case with Microsoft.
    Thanks,
    Stefan

36. swanl98 says:

Thanks Stefan

I was able to find the problem and resolved it. Rerun Configuration wizard and the upgraded was finished successfully.

Swanl

37. Xmantra says:

Is https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2880473/ included in this Uber update or this needs to be installed separately?

38. anonymouscommenter says:

I’m presenting a summarized "Build Numbers Cube Sheet" as I did so before, so please find

39. anonymouscommenter says: