October 2014 CU for SharePoint 2013 has been released

The product group released the October 2014 Cumulative Update for the SharePoint 2013 product family.

Be aware that all Update for SharePoint 2013 require SharePoint Server 2013 SP1 OR March 2013 PU for SharePoint 2013 to be installed first.

Please also have a look at the article that discusses how to properly patch a SharePoint 2013 farm which has Search enabled (see below).

Also be aware that in October no so called "Server" or "Uber" packages have been released instead only fix packages for individual components of SharePoint have been released. That means if your SharePoint system is on an older patch level than September 2014 CU you need to install September 2014 CU before installing the below listed October 2014 CU fixes in order to update your system to the latest patch level.
With other words: It is highly recommended to install SP1 and September 2014 CU before installing October 2014 CU!

See SharePoint Patching Demystified for details.

Previous releases of the SharePoint Server 2013 cumulative update included both the executable and the .CAB file in the same self-extracting executable download. Because of the file size, the SharePoint Server 2013 package has been divided into several separate downloads. One contains the executable file, while the others contain the CAB file. All are necessary and must be placed in the same folder to successfully install the update. All are available by clicking the same Hotfix Download Available link in the KB article for the release.

This CU does NOT(!) include all SharePoint 2013 fixes previously released! It is recommended to install September 2014 CU before installing this CU.

The CU does not include SP1! You can install SP1 before or after installing this CU.

The KB articles for October CU are available at the following locations:

• KB 2889946 – SharePoint Foundation 2013 October 2014 CU
  • KB 2899469, KB 2880962, KB 2880485 – SharePoint Server 2013 October 2014 CU
  • KB 2752098 – Fix for SharePoint 2013 Indexing Connector for Documentum (if installed)
  • KB 2889959 – Project Server 2013 October 2014 CU
  • KB 2889898 – Office Web Apps Server 2013 October 2014 CU

The Packages for October 2014 CU are available through the following links:

• Download SharePoint Foundation 2013 October 2014 CU: 2889946
  • Download SharePoint Server 2013 October 2014 CU: 2899469, 2880962, 2880485
  • Download SharePoint 2013 Indexing Connector for Documentum October 2014 CU: 2752098
  • Download Project Server 2013 October 2014 CU: 2889959
  • Download Office Web Apps Server 2013 October 2014 CU: 2889898

After installing the fixes you need to run the SharePoint 2013 Products Configuration Wizard on each machine in the farm.

Be aware that for SharePoint Server you have to install the SharePoint Foundation fixes as well! Same for Project Server where you have to install the SharePoint Foundation and the SharePoint Server fixes.

Related Info:

1. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi are you honestly saying we have install updates for SharePoint 2013 foundation and sever. I thought that advice was confined to history!

2. anonymouscommenter says:

Microsoft acaba de liberar las actualizaciones acumuladas de Octubre de 2014 tanto para SharePoint 2010

3. anonymouscommenter says:

As I understood everything correctly for sharepoint server environment first I need to install 2889946 – SharePoint Foundation 2013 October 2014 CU and after that •KB 2899469, KB 2880962, KB 2880485 – SharePoint Server 2013 October 2014 CU. Can you please clarify
    this? Thank you.

4. Hi Andrei, the sequence does not matter. But all these fixes need to be installed. If September CU has not been installed before you should apply it as well. After all the installations run PSCONFIG.

5. Hi Daniel,

yes. This is the second CU (August CU was the same) where Uber or Server packages are not shipped.

So you need to install the Foundation and the Server fixes.
    Whenever possible we will ship Uber packages which will include as well the Foundation and the Server fixes.
    See the SharePoint Patching demystified article mentioned above for details.

6. Sam.Lin says:

Hi Stefan,

After applying all the CU (Sep. CU, SPF Oct. CU and SPS Oct. CU), the configuration database version still remand in 15.0.4649.1001 (Sep. CU). Is it correct? Thanks!

7. anonymouscommenter says:

Things are not progressing well when a "Cumulative Upgrade" actually is three different downloads. (SPS 2013)
    I wish they'd go back to having Cumulative Upgrades that were actually that and not just Hotfixes given another name.

8. anonymouscommenter says:

Many thanks for your up to date article, I think SharePoint 2013 SP2 has not been released until now it's correct ?.

9. anonymouscommenter says:

This makes me think, "There's a whole lot of patchin' goin' on!" If I were to create a brand new farm today, and did not use project or office apps, what would I need to install to ensure I was current? I like the idea of that script that helps check to
    see what you need but it's only as good as it is maintained.

It seems to me that the script or something like this should be maintained by the product team to ease the burden of what amounts to 10 plus patches needing to be installed on multiple servers and take 8 hours to install unless you actively disable the IIS
    admin and timer services.

You have a good product and a very complex product but have not completely seen what impact all this patching is having on the customers.

10. anonymouscommenter says:

This is Microsoft? SharePoint is already difficult to handle. It's possible to have a more simple patching schedule?

11. anonymouscommenter says:

It seems the more SharePoint 'matures' the more painful the process of updating becomes. Wouldn't it be at least helpful to have all related updates on the same page with a single email request? It seems Microsoft prefer the path of least resistance but
    one that maximizes the inconvenience for their customers.

12. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan, What about the KB2825674? Isn´t that the "normal CU package" October 2014 for SP2013 Foundation? I´m trying to understand the difference between the KB2889946 package.

13. anonymouscommenter says:

Buenas, Se liberó la pasada semana la actualización acumulativa para Project 2013 y Project Server 2013

14. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan,

I noticed the same as Sam.Lin. I would expect that at least one of the components version was higher. I collected all versions before and after update, and don't see any difference:

Before CU:

After CU:

Another thing, I don't find October CU on the offisial list:

Is the update valid?

Cato Antonsen

15. Hi Cato,

this update is valid. Don’t ask me when the "official" list is updated. Its not unter my control.

Regarding the "config database version": Check the "Farm Patch Information" section of this article:

Btw: did you install the SharePoint Foundation fix as well? It is required in October CU also for SharePoint Server.

16. anonymouscommenter says:

Following my tradition in presenting a summarized "Build Numbers Cube Sheet" as I did so before

17. Thats something new for me for SharePoint 2013. I have to install Foundation update as well for Server October CU.

18. Hi Inderjeet: as discussed thats because there are no Uber packages in this CU (same as in August 2014 CU btw).
    Read my SharePoint Patching demystified for details.

19. Hi Frederic,
    2825674 is March 2014 PU for SharePoint Foundation 2013.
    That one is included in all CUs since April 2014 CU.

20. Hi Mohamed,
    there is no SP2 for SP2013.

21. Hi Mike,

it is an exception that the CU is released without an Uber package. A problem was found in one of the packages related for this CU. The decision was to skip October CU completly or to release those packages which are good.
    As you should only install a CU if you are affected by a specific issues (or advised by Microsoft Support) you can easily either go for September CU or wait for the next CU which has an Uber package.

22. anonymouscommenter says:

I am attempting to slipstream these updates in my standard build. I have September and October included but does the installer somehow know what order the patches should be applied?

23. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan,

The versions I listed in my posting above is from the the "product and patch" page, NOT the "config database version" as you seem to think I was referring to. And as you can see, no component version has changed between Sep and Oct CU on my install.

I saw your blog post of yesterday and I still don't understand where I should see a change in version after the Oct CU.

These are the updates I ran on my Sep CU installation:

– acsrvloc2013-kb2880485-fullfile-x64-glb.exe
    – coreserverloc2013-kb2899469-fullfile-x64-glb.exe
    – osfserver2013-kb2880962-fullfile-x64-glb.exe
    – wssloc2013-kb2889946-fullfile-x64-glb.exe

… then Product Configuration Wizard.

Thanks for all your support to the community!

24. anonymouscommenter says:

Finalmente siamo tornati online e lo facciamo pubblicando la tabella degli aggiornamenti di SharePoint

25. anonymouscommenter says:

Rilasciata la CU di Ottobre 2014 per SharePoint 2013; leggere bene le note di Stefan sia su questo specifico

26. Hi Ernie, the installer detects if a newer version of a package is installed and will skip lower versions. So that should work fine.

27. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Stefan,
    I am getting following error in health analyzer at one of customers
    Product / Patch installation of server upgrade is required.
    upgrade is required on server without the upgrade, the server is not in a supported state

They have RTM version of SharePoint 2013 (15.0.4420.1017 ) no patches have been applied any CU or SP1.

Is the error coming because its still RTM with no patches applied, do we have to apply patch to RTM to get rid of this error.

28. Hi Ajay,
    see here for details on this message and methods to resolve it:

29. anonymouscommenter says:

Just wanted to drop the note and say.. You have been doing awesome job explaining each and every CUs installation details…

30. anonymouscommenter says:

I’m presenting a summarized "Build Numbers Cube Sheet" as I did so before, so please find

31. anonymouscommenter says: