April 2011 CU for SharePoint 2007 and 2010 has been released today

The product group released the April 2011 Cumulative Update for the SharePoint 2007 and 2010 product family.

The KB articles are not yet available (as usual it will take a couple more days to get these through the required release process) but the fixes can already be downloaded.

As soon as the KB articles are live they can be found at the following locations:

• KB 2512783 – WSS 3.0
  • KB 2512782 – MOSS 2007
  • KB 2512804 – SharePoint Foundation 2010
  • KB 2512800 – SharePoint Server 2010
  • KB 2512801 – SharePoint Server 2010 with Project Server
    As you see there is a separate Full Server Package for SharePoint Server 2010 with Project Server which simplifies patching of this common installation.

The Full Server Packages for April 2011 CU are available through the following links:

Related Update Centers:

1. Jesper says:

FYI

The download links doesn't work?

When trying  the "Download SharePoint Server 2010 April 2011 CU" I get a 'does not exist'…

2. Stefan Goßner says:

Hi Jesper,

I just double checked and all 5 packages are available for download.

Cheers,

Stefan

3. Jesper says:

Well, when clicking the above link, I first have to click "accept terms" on a page, and the I’m getting this page:

support.microsoft.com/…/default.aspx

It’s in danish, but it’s still a "page not found" error I’m getting – Am I doing something wrong?

/Jesper

4. Stefan Goßner says:

Hi Jesper,

there might be a problem with the danish mirror of the hotfix site. Please change the language in your browser to english-US and try again.

Cheers,

Stefan

5. Jesper says:

Yep – changing my browser language to english solved the problem – strange, never had that problem before?

Oh, well – It works now – I'm a happy camper 🙂

Thanks for your help!

Regards

/Jesper

6. Dan_IT says:

"For the 2010 Server Products it is sufficient to install the SharePoint Server 2010 package as it includes the SharePoint Foundation package."

Are you certain?  Everything I have read says you need to always do the foundation ones first.  Also looking at the KB article for the Feb CU you can see the the hotfixes included in the Foundation CU are not also in the Server CU.

7. ori says:

Hi,

Is there an update (April CU)  for the Project Pro 2010 also ?

8. Stefan Goßner says:

Hi Dan,

yes I'm sure. You can also double check yourself: start the SP 2010 package with /extract:c:temp.

You will find the sts.msp included. sts.msp is the msp for SPF.

Cheers,

Stefan

9. Stefan Goßner says:

Hi Ori,

yes there is: support.microsoft.com/…/2516479

Cheers,

Stefan

10. Rogier Duurkoop says:

When I download the SharePoint 2010 CU April exe  (432209_intl_x64_zip.exe) and want to extract I get the message that is a part of a MultiDisk-ZIP file. I downloaded it on different locations (customers). Anyone with the same problem ?

11. Stefan Goßner says:

Hi Rogier,

the download file is not a multipart file. It is a single file.

I assume that the download stopped and you only have part of the file on disk.

I would suggest to download again.

Cheers,

Stefan

12. Hikmer says:

When will the KB articles be ready so we know what bugs have been fixed, don't like to blindly install these updates.

13. Stefan Goßner says:

Hi Hikmer,

sorry I don't have this information. The articles have to go through technical and edit review before they can go live.

Cheers,

Stefan

14. Hikmer says:

But the actual updates dont?  That doens't seem right…how can the updates be released WITHOUT documentation?  MS needs to get on board with this and make things more transparent.  Sorry to bang on my one note drum, but this has gone on for FAR too long.  If anythign it should be the exact reverse, we shoudl know the bugs that are to be addressed BEFORE the download update.  Dont you think?

15. Stefan Goßner says:

Hi Hikmer,

the fixes are tested internally and released afterwards as soon as possible to ensure that customers in a need for the fix can get the benefit of the fixes as soon as they are available.

Alternatively you can wait for the KB articles to be available and decide then whether to install the fixes or not.

Cheers,

Stefan

16. Hikmer says:

It's been over a week, still not release notes.  Please let the internal teams at Microsoft know this is poor documentation hampers our ability to properly decide if these CU's are worth our time…they time hours of testing and preparation which I do not take lightly.  We need to know what has been fixed or these are useless updates.  Documentation has been the single biggest shortfall of this product line, it needs much improvement…I have to resort to other peoples blogs to fix most of my issues since MS doesn’t provide free support to fix the bugs in this product (another grip for another time.)

17. Stefan Goßner says:

Hi Hikmer,

I have already informed the relevant people.

Regarding your last comment: that is not correct. Support cases related to problems in the product which result in hotfix requests are free of charge during mainstream support phase.

Cheers,

Stefan

18. Hikmer says:

That is only if you invest the time to make the technican declare it is a bug, it is time consuming for admins.  We hsould have a way to report a bug so that we don't have to pay up front then get "reimbursed" later.  I know this is off topic but ALL other companies I know of provide free avenues to report bugs…MS doesn't.

19. Stefan Goßner says:

Hi Hikmer,

usually that should not be necessary as a case has to go to escalation services to request a hotfix. Escalation services will automatically flag the support case as free of charge when a hotfix is requested. Our tools more or less enforce this.

From my understanding there is no need to pay in advance. Payment occurs after the case is closed. If the case is marked as non decrement, then no payment will be requested.

Cheers,

Stefan

20. Hikmer says:

Well you are wrong, MS wants my credit card number before any discussions take place.  Anyway still no KB info on these updates…suppose holding my breath wont help…

21. Stefan Goßner says:

Hi Hikmer,

the credit card information is taken at the beginning – but nothing is charged till the support case is closed.

Cheers,

Stefan

22. Stefan Goßner says:

KB 2512800 is now available.