This is a blog post of a new ongoing series of consolidated updates from the Cloud Platform team.
In today’s mobile first, cloud first world, Microsoft provides the technologies and tools to enable enterprises to embrace a cloud culture. Our differentiated innovations, comprehensive mobile solutions and developer tools help all of our customers realize the true potential of the cloud first era.
You expect cloud-speed innovation from us, and we’re delivering across the breadth of our Cloud Platform product portfolio. Below is a consolidated list of our latest releases to help you stay current, with links to additional details if you’d like more information. In this update:
- StorSimple integration into new Azure Portal (ibiza) | GA
- DocumentDB | DocumentDB: IP Filtering and Xamarin support-GA
- Power BI Desktop | GA
- Power BI reports in SQL Server Reporting Services | Public Preview
- Power BI service | GA
- Azure Machine Learning | New Region – West Central US
- SQL Server v.Next (Windows, Linux, and Docker) | Public Preview
- Microsoft Cloud App Security | Releases
StorSimple integration into new Azure Portal (ibiza) | GA
We’re happy to announce the management of the StorSimple Virtual Device Series in the new Azure portal! The detailed announcement and the various enhancements to the management experience are outlined in the Azure blog post here. Customers now get an enhanced user experience with improved navigation, optimized workflows for task completion, integrated support and diagnostics experiences, and support for inbuilt Azure roles and ability to manage access through custom roles amongst others.
Customers will be transitioned to the new portal in phases starting mid-December. The *transition itself is seamless and there will be no downtime to the virtual arrays or their management*. The transition will be spread over a few months, with the last wave of customers being migrated by the end of Feb 2017. Customers will be notified well in advance of their planned transition dates and the classic portal will be shut down for the Virtual Device Series management once the last set of customers have been migrated.
DocumentDB | DocumentDB: IP Filtering and Xamarin support-GA
Azure DocumentDB: Xamarin support and IP Filtering
The latest release of the DocumentDB .NET Core SDK is fully Xamarin compatible and can be used to build applications that target iOS and Android. Azure DocumentDB also supports policy driven IP-based access controls via the Azure Portal and SDKs for inbound firewall support.
Power BI Desktop | GA
New and most frequently requested Power BI Desktop features are now available to business analysts.
- Enhancements to Report view: make sure your visuals are lined up for a pixel-perfect report with these new features: table header and word wrap, table & matrix conditional formatting improvement – users can now control how blanks are conditionally formatted on tables and matrices, new aggregations for string and DateTime columns, and phone reports.
- Additional data connectors: users can now utilize Visual Studio Team Services connector, as well as enhanced SQL Server connector that includes support for SQL Failover option.
- Query editing improvements: new transform: extract values from a nested list. Download the latest Power BI Desktop to experience the new features immediately. For more information on these new features and others, visit the Power BI blog.
Power BI reports in SQL Server Reporting Services | Public Preview
Power BI reports in SQL Server Reporting Services
On January 17, 2017, we released an update to the technical preview of Power BI reports in SQL Server Reporting Services. You can access the technical preview via a pre-configured virtual machine image, which is available in the Azure Marketplace. In addition to trying the VM in Azure, you can now download the software and install it on your own on-premises VM or server.
For more information, please read the blog.
Power BI service | GA
More new and most frequently requested Power BI features are now available to end users and business analysts in the month of January.
- Email subscriptions: Users can now easily subscribe to receive email snapshots of report pages.
- Flow REST API connector: New Power BI action in Flow, adds rows to a streaming dataset via REST API.
- Auditing Global Preview: Today the Power BI auditing preview is only available inside the USA. We are now opening up the preview for other countries as well (with the exception of the sovereign clouds).
- Power BI Specific Admin role: Creates a new role in AAD that can be used to manage Power BI. Before this change, only global administrators could access the Power BI Admin portal. The new Power BI role can be assigned using Powershell or the Office 365 admin portal.
- Power BI Pro in Microsoft Cloud Germany: Power BI Pro will be available in Microsoft Cloud Germany; customers who sign up for Power BI Pro in Microsoft Cloud Germany will be on a separate instance of Power BI delivered from German datacenters with a dedicated network operating inside Germany, ensuring their data reside in Germany and a designated German data trustee, T-Systems International, controls access to it; customers in the EU and EFTA can store and manage customer data in compliance with applicable German laws and regulations as well as key international standards, and Microsoft cannot access customer data without approval from and supervision by the German data trustee or customer.
Azure Machine Learning | New Region – West Central US
Azure Machine Learning Now Available in West Central US
We are pleased to announce that Azure Machine Learning is now generally available in the West Central United States (WCUS) Azure region.
With this, Azure ML is now available in the following regions:
- United States for East US2, South Central US, NEW: West Central US
- Europe for West Europe and Germany Central
- Asia Pacific for Japan East and Southeast Asia
You can create new workspaces and experiments in the WCUS region, of course. If you have experiments in other regions that you now wish to migrate to WCUS or just desire to deploy your web services in this new data center, please follow the step by step guide in the related blog post and start discussing with us on the Azure ML forum.
SQL Server v.Next (Windows, Linux, and Docker) | Public Preview
Try the newest SQL Server v.Next public preview, now available on Windows and Linux!
Microsoft is excited to announce that the next version of SQL Server (SQL Server v.Next) Community Technology Preview (CTP) 1.2 is now available for download on both Windows and Linux. In CTP 1.2, part of our rapid preview model, we added support for SUSE Linux Enterprise and implemented bug fixes. You can try these previews in your development and test environments, or apply to join the SQL Server Early Adoption Program to get support for implementing SQL Server v.Next in a production environment.
For additional detail, please read the CTP 1.2 blog post on the SQL Server Blog.
Microsoft Cloud App Security | Releases
Released in April 2016, Microsoft Cloud App Security provides deeper visibility, stronger controls and enhanced threat protection for organization’s cloud apps. We are excited to announce Data Anonymization for Cloud Discovery is now generally available and Cloud App Security SIEM integration is in public preview.
Data Anonymization generally available
Cloud Discovery data anonymization enables our customers to protect user privacy. Once the data log is uploaded to the Cloud App Security portal, the log is sanitized and all username information is replaced with encrypted usernames. This way, all cloud activities are kept anonymous.
For more information on SIEM integration, please visit our technical documentation page.
SIEM integration in public preview
You can now integrate Cloud App Security with your SIEM server to enable centralized monitoring of alerts and activities. Integrating with a SIEM service allows you to better protect your cloud applications while maintaining your usual security workflow, automating security procedures and correlating between cloud-based and on-premises events.
For more information on data anonymization, please visit our technical documentation page.