Today, Microsoft is excited to announce the released SQL Server 2008 R2 to manufacturing! Customers can expect availability in the next few weeks through Microsoft’s distribution channels. For more information, visit the SQL Server 2008 R2 Virtual Press Room at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/sqlserver.
SQL Server 2008 R2 enhancements continue to support mission-critical workloads providing a trusted, scalable platform, increased developer and IT efficiency and managed self-service business intelligence reporting and analytics. Some of the capabilities that customers and partners will benefit from include:
- PowerPivot: a managed self-service analysis solution that empowers end users to access, analyze and share data across the enterprise in an IT managed environment using Excel 2010 and SharePoint Sever 2010.
- Master Data Services: helps IT organizations centrally manage critical data assets companywide and across diverse systems, and enables more people to securely manage master data directly, and ensure the integrity of information over time.
- Application and Multi-server Management: helps organizations proactively manage database environments efficiently at scale through centralized visibility into resource utilization and streamlined consolidation and upgrade initiatives across the application lifecycle.
- Report Builder 3.0: report authoring component with support for geospatial visualization. This new release provides capabilities to further increase end user productivity with enhanced wizards, more powerful visualizations, and intuitive authoring.
- StreamInsight: a low latency complex event processing platform to help IT monitor, analyze and act on the data in motion to make more informed business decisions in near real-time.
The customer engagement in the development process of SQL Server 2008 R2 was outstanding, with more than 300,000 downloads of the technology previews. Customers including AMC Entertainment, vente-privee.com, and China Life Pension Company are already taking advantage of the new scalability, BI and manageability features in SQL Server 2008 R2.
To explore what’s new in the SQL Server 2008 R2 release, please visit the SQL Server 2008 R2 Digital Tour at http://www.sqlserverlaunch.com/. Additionally, remember to use the #SQLR2 hashtag when Tweeting all SQL Server 2008 R2 related news!