On Wednesday Microsoft announced Public Preview availability of Windows Small Business Server 2008, part of the new Windows Essential Server Solutions product family. Customers and partners can now download and evaluate SBS 2008 Release Candidate 0. Due out later this year, SBS 2008 offers a range of new benefits to small business owners and the technology consultants that serve them. Windows Essential Business Server 2008 Release Candidate 0 was made available through Public Preview earlier this month. New features of SBS 2008 include:
· Greater security and data protection: Built-in anti-virus and anti-spam with 120-day subscriptions to Microsoft Forefront Security for Exchange Server and Windows Live OneCare for Server will help small businesses protect data.
· Simple, easy online marketing presence: SBS 2008 integrates with Microsoft Office Live Small Business to simplify set up and management of professional web sites and private work spaces.
· Better productivity: A streamlined, customizable Remote Web Workplace, integration of the new SharePoint and support for the newest Windows mobile devices will help employees more effectively work remotely and collaborate.
· IT made easy: Deployment, setup and administration is dramatically simplified and improved. New single CALs make SBS 2008 licensing more flexible and cost-effective.
· Manageability: A streamlined administration console; monitoring across servers and client PCs; customizable, remotely-accessible reports.
· Microsoft’s newest server technologies: Overall, SBS 2008 delivers powerful and more secure infrastructure that was rebuilt from the ground up, including the new Windows Server 2008, Exchange Server 2007 Standard Edition, SQL Server 2008 (in Premium Edition) and the new Windows Server Update Services.
· SBS 2008 Premium Edition is an ideal platform for critical business applications, via SQL Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 on a second hardware server.