On the heels of this latest platform wave with Windows Server 2008, .NET Framework 3.5, Visual Studio 2008 and SQL Server 2008- the Connect Systems Division wants to take advantage of the innovations in these products and align BizTalk Server to the most recent versions. Once SQL Server 2008 (the final of the three to be released) becomes generally available, an updated version of BizTalk Server will follow taking full advantage of the platform’s latest improvements including: scalability for mission-critical workloads, improved support for next-generation web and service oriented applications, improved virtualization support and better business insight through Office. This release will build on existing bits, and therefore the name of this release will be BizTalk Server 2006 R3. Refreshing the bits (instead of applying a large Service Pack) provides for the best update experience and features for customers.
The Division is taking this opportunity to release additional features with this product update including:
- New web service registry capabilities with support for UDDI (Universal Description Discovery and Integration) version 3.0
- Enhanced service enablement of applications (through new and enhanced adapters for LOB applications, databases, and legacy/host systems)
- Enhanced service enablement of “edge” devices through BizTalk RFID Mobile
- Enhanced interoperability and connectivity support for B2B protocols (like SWIFT, EDI, etc)
- SOA patterns and best practices guidance to assist our customer’s implementations
- More features disclosure to come……
You should expect to see a CTP of BizTalk Server 2006 R3 later this year (with an RTM planned in H1 CY09). Please visit Steven Martin’s blog post from yesterday evening for additional information.