This page will be updated periodically with frequently asked questions, common Issues and their solutions.
HOTFIX: An update is available for MA Configuration Server and Process Server.
An update is available for Microsoft Accelerator Configuration Server and Process Server to address the following list of issues:
- The Configuration Server may unexpectedly hang preventing it to synchronize with MA portal.
- Push install fails when remotely installing the Mobility Service (guest agent) from MA portal.
Download and apply this hotfix on Process Server and Configuration Server. You do not have to restart the computer after you apply this update.
ERROR: Replication Pair is not in differential sync, please retry after some time.
REASON: You will see this message when you try to Migrate (Cutover) before the replication reaches Differential Sync. The replication (Protection) happens in 2 Steps: Resyncing (Step I) and Differential Sync (Step 2). You can find the state by logging into your CS and checking the status of Volume Protection as shown below:
RESOLUTION: Wait for the replication to reach Differential Sync and then try to migrate.
Migrating Source Systems with D: drive
Azure by default uses D: drive as temporary storage drive. Do not store your data or log files on the D: drive. If your source system is using applications that rely on data on D: drive then you have two options before migrate them.
- Migrate your VM using Migration Accelerator to Azure
- Azure assigns source D: drive to next available drive
- In the migrated VM, Azure assigns D: to temporary storage drive
- Change temporary storage drive letter from D: drive to another available one.
- Change back drive letter on target Azure to match your source server.
- Before configuring the protection, from Command Line run the following on source server:
- san policy onlineall
- Configure for protection and migrate the source server
- Drive letter will be retained in target Azure
PS is not registering with CS
Condition: Strawberry path is mentioned after Cygwin path
- From command prompt execute
<Command prompt>Perl –c “C:\home\svsystems\pm\TimeShotManager.pm”
If you are seeing Perl crash with above command. The Perl crash is due to environment PATH, where the sequence of Cygwin and Strawberry is causing this issue.
- Strawberry path should be mentioned first and then the Cygwin path
1. Navigate to Computer > Properties > Advance System settings >
2. In Advanced tab click on Environment Variables
3. In System variables section, select Variable as Path and click on Edit button.
4. Move "C:\cygwin\bin;" string from the middle and move it to the end. Click OK to save.
- Restart tmansvs service
- From Command prompt execute.
<Command prompt>Perl –c "C:\home\svsystems\pm\TimeShotManager.pm”
C:\home\svsystems\pm\TimeShotManager.pm syntax OK
The perl command interpreter should not crash and Process Server (PS) should register with CS after the above changes. Perform the above steps for Configuration Server (CS) server as well.
Mobility Service installation is struck at Pending Initially stage.
During Mobility Service installation, you should choose the PS server at Source enterprise instead of PS at CS of Azure.
Process Server not displayed in dropdown for agent install/uninstall
When you install Mobility Service from MA portal, in some cases the Push Server many not display the Process Server (PS). This could happen for one of the following reasons:
- If you made recent changes to PS and they are not propagated to MA due to synchronization latency between CS and MA server (the default is 15minutes). You can synchronize on demand by Navigating to CS UI> Settings> Advance Configurations > RX Settings.
- Another common cause for the PS to not display could be due to faulty registration of PS with the CS, to troubleshoot this issue refer to section '3. Communication between PS and CS portal.' under Troubleshooting Migration Accelerator Deployment.
- if you skipped running postdeployconfig install step. Re-run the command with the right IP address.
ERROR: Data upload blocked for <n> min, check network between Source Server and PS Server
Replication is not happening and you are seeing the following error 'Data upload blocked for <n> min, check network between Source Server and PS Server' in CS UI when you drill down to Volume Protection for the Protection Plan. To troubleshoot this issue refer to section '5. Communication between Source and PS' under Troubleshooting Migration Accelerator Deployment. If you PS is installed in Azure VM, then ensure it has endpoints 9080 and 9443 and they are open for inbound traffic.
ERROR: IP address is not discovered for server <server name>. Installing VMware tool on virtual machine may resolve this
MA relies on VMware tools to discover the virtual machines and display in the portal. For more information, see Installing VMware Tools in a Windows virtual machine and VMware Tools for Linux Guests.
ERROR: Cannot attach more than 8 disks for MT <MT server name>
Master Target acts as the target for replicating disks of on-premises servers. The size of MT VM dictates the number of disks attached. It is recommended that you choose A4 size for your MT. With A4, the MT will support 16 disks. MT reserves one disk for storing retention points. To protect multiple guest servers in parallel whose total disk count exceeds 15 disks per MT (for A4 size), you can scale out by installing an other instance of MT. If your MT size is smaller than A4, you can modify it from the Azure management portal. Currently MT can only be of type A-series virtual machines, do not use D-series or G-series.
HOW TO: Discover Source Servers when the Mobility Service (guest agents) is installed manually
If you install the Mobility Service agent manually on the source server, then during the discovery process ensure you provide the same source server IP address that you see under Agent Heartbeat. You can get this information by Logging into CS portal. And by Navigating to Monitor > Agent heartbeat > Source Server name (Host Name) > IP address.
INFO: Pre-requisites for remote push install of Mobility Service (guest agents)
From the Migration Accelerator portal you can remotely push Mobility Service (guest agents) on to the source server. You can remotely deploy agents on multiple servers without relying on another deployment technology or worry about installing it manually. Follow the pre-requisites recommend in Pre-requisites for remote push install of Mobility Service (guest agents) article to successfully push install your agents from the MA portal.
HOWTO: Force Resync the protected servers
From the Migration Accelerator CS portal go to Monitor tab > volume protection option. From the list of 'Volume Protection' find your server, click the replication pair under 'VX Agent Pair' for which you need to resync. Go to settings tab, choose Resync option and accept changes.