Yes the SQL Server best practices analyser is back and it can be used to analyse your SQL Server 2008 or 2008 R2 instances.
The Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 BPA is a diagnostic tool that performs the following functions:
- Gathers information about a Server and a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or 2008 R2 instance installed on that Server
- Determines if the configurations are set according to the recommended best practices
- Reports on all configurations, indicating settings that differ from recommendations
- Indicates potential problems in the installed instance of SQL Server
- Recommends solutions to potential problems
The following are required for using SQL Server 2008 R2 Best Practices Analyzer:
- PowerShell V2.0
- Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer V2.0 (MBCA)
The tool requires that MBCA is installed, this can be installed from - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1b6e9026-f505-403e-84c3-a5dea704ec67
SQL Server BPA can help you maintain and manage high performing SQL Server environment.