In the current economic climate, it is important for IT to be agile and respond to business needs of managing costs.
A method that has almost immediate impact on cost savings is to consolidate the servers. SQL Server’s are prime targets for such consolidation. Due to the ease of installation, each department/group within an organisation ends up implementing a SQL Server on its own server.
These servers usually are underutilised and thus host consolidation can be achieved, i.e. physically consolidating multiple servers onto smaller number of larger servers.
SQL Server 2008 makes it easier to consolidate the various versions of SQL Servers as it contains some great features such as the Resource Governor, Compression, and support for greater number of instances.
For more information see:
- White Paper: Server Consolidation with SQL Server 2008
- Green IT in Practice: SQL Server Consolidation in Microsoft IT – http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd393309.aspx
- Blog: SQL Server 2008 Consolidation and Virtualization at UBS
- Reduce Costs and Deliver Value – http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/spotlight-on-cost.aspx
- SQL Server Consolidation – http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/server-consolidation.aspx
- Planning for Consolidation with SQL Server 2000 – http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966486.aspx
Hope the above information can help you in making the IT department responsive to the current economic climate and deliver better business results.