Important Change for Custom Claims Providers in SharePoint 2013 – and Refresh of Some Favorite Claims Tools


This one's short but important – there's been a change in SharePoint 2013 when you install a custom claims provider.  The IsUsedByDefault property is now set to False by default; in SharePoint 2010 it was True, which means as soon as you installed your custom claims provider everything "just worked".  You will now have to go and change this, either after the fact or as part of your claims provider receiver assembly, in order to have your claims provider start working. 

 

Also, I'm finding that those same tools used in SharePoint 2010 – the SharePoint Claims project with the HttpModule and web part that lists your claims, the ClaimsProviderActivation tool, that enables and disables a provider – are still quite handy in SharePoint 2013.  As a quick plug to help you get started I'm attaching a ZIP file to this post with rebuilt versions of those tools that work with SharePoint 2013.

SP2013ClaimsTools.zip

Comments (8)

  1. kishhr says:

    Custom Claim providers is a very important stuff and has to be addressed in proper way………..

  2. PaulE says:

    Is the IsUsedByDefault property still set to False by default? A more recently updated TechNet article (which you contributed to)–http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg602072(v=office.15).aspx#deploying–states,
    "By default, when you register a custom claims provider on the farm, the IsEnabled and IsUsedByDefault properties are both set to True." Which is correct?

  3. C. Marius says:

    Thank you for the heads-up and particularly for sharing the updated tool with us, found it really handy!

    C:>Marius

  4. Scott Tarnell says:

    Steve, love your blog. Hey I have a dilemma.  I have a need to support external non-windows users through SAML authentication. I have successfully setup ADFS with claims transformation logic to map the users to an internal "shadow" AD account. I am using SharePoint 2013. All is working with the exception of the BI stack. Specifically the BISM in a shared data source library connecting to Analysis Services (Tabular). Evidently, someone chose to not allow the issuance of Windows tokens from the c2wts even though the claim is from an internal domain, albeit via ADFS. Any thoughts on how to deliver a solution?

  5. Mario T. Lanza says:

    Mr. Peschka, would you mind adding a footnote about the IsUsedByDefault bit as an addendum to your deployment examples found on your site and Microsoft’s? I compiled and deployed your example Basketball Teams provider and was frustrated for days for having
    no visible sign that the provider was working and nothing in the original examples caused me to contemplate the need to switch this bit on. It wasn’t until someone directed me to this post that I made further progress. Your old SharePoint 2010 examples are
    still the most complete available and the ones most likely to be found when searched; however, in light of the 2013 changes unless one discovers this information he may be similarly frustrated.

  6. Anonymous says:

    As I was going round and round a few weeks ago trying to figure out why my custom claims provider was

  7. Anonymous says:

    NOTE: I updated this 10/9/2013 because some of the Url references I had below had changed between when