ConfigMgr 2007: Clients not installed – RegTask: Failed to get certificate. Error: 0x80004005

We’re starting to see a couple of these issues roll in so I thought a heads up might be in order.  This solution comes from Brian Shaw, one of our top gun support Engineers our in Charlotte, NC:

========

Issue: Some clients may not show as being installed when viewed through the System Center Configuration Manager 2007 admin console.  From the target computers themselves the agents appear to function properly. When viewing the ClientLocation.log file you may also see the following error:

RegTask: Failed to get certificate. Error: 0x80004005

Cause: This is caused by an issue with the RSA machine keys on the client.

Resolution: To resolve this issue complete the following steps:

1. Backup all files in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys folder (or the corresponding folder on your specific clients).
  2. Restart the SMS Agent Host Service to recreate these certificates.
  3. At this point the clients should start showing up in the console.  If not, remove and push the client agent to the affected computers again.

========

I hope you don’t get this issue yourself but if you do then at least know you’ll know how to fix it.  Thanks Brian!

Enjoy!

J.C. Hornbeck | Manageability Knowledge Engineer

2. Barbara Grilz says:

I'm not sure I purchased the Reg Task but if I did, please cancel it at once.  I'm having health problems and moving into a nursing home soon.  Please refund my money if I purchased this plan as I won't be able to use it.  If it shows on the my credit statement, I'll have to have them cancel it.

Barbara

3. Chris Wood says:

Brilliant fix – I had a client with the same issue and deleting those RSA keys fixed the problem.

Thanks again!

Chris.

4. Shirley Hergert says:

I think I must have downloaded two copies because I have two receipts for  4.95 and with in 10 days 35.00 will be billed < I also have one for 29.95 The one I thought I was getting was the 29.95 one so will you credit the other one back to my account. Thanks,

Shirley

5. Carl M.Winstead says:

I WOULD LIKE TO GET A REFUN,I AM UNABLE TO WORK THE REGTASK.

6. Rodriguezw1954@yahoo.com says:

I am so sorry but I must cancel this product I can not afford it. Thank you for the trial run it is very good and help full

7. paul says:

Worked great thanks. Not sure what started this error in the first place. Glad its fixed tho

8. sharoll shumate says:

i sorry but i must cancel the regstaf product in that it doesn't work good for me.  Please confirm that this has been done.  thanks

9. visions501 says:

I want a refund.  Dont want.  My computer has not run right since I installed

10. Clarene N Watts says:

I  want to cencel my request for this product. I am unable to  intsall because I am not that

familar  with computers. Please cancel my order and refund my money.

11. Ken Bashore kwoodbart@grandecom.net says:

I cannot install the program because I never got the Key.

12. Ruben Settle says:

regtask found almost 2000 errors in my PC and when I bought the product and received the key it didn't work! That key cost me 41 dolars and I can use it because of this problem. regtask wants me to spend another 40 d0llar in order to get another key.

13. Lorna Capitola says:

It was a confusing process, seemingly  wanting me to buy additional processes.  i couldn't  use the key supposedly offered.  Please cancel my order.

14. J.B. MacDonald says:

I dont understand how to use and cannot afford the cost.  thank you.  PLs cancel

15. Caroline Yacoub says:

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one having problems. I bought the product, I have a receipt for the product, but it will not run. I asked for help yesterday and was told I would get help today. Today is nearly over. No help.Please cancel my order. And I would like a notification that it has been cancelled.

16. Dean Hansen 9-7-11 says:

we would like our money back ,It doesn"t work computer has more errors than before.   Please let us know when repayed to our account thank you

17. Rosemary Holzschuh says:

I am unable to get regtask license # registered.  Please cancel my order.  I PLAN TO STOP PAYMENT WITH VISA ON THIS ORDER.  r.

18. Lyle ). Barr says:

Why can't I get a phone number for techincal support withou a FEE?

19. U.R. Wrong says:

This is an irresponsible post. true, this will work on *some* servers….but it is a barbaric way to go about it and can result in serious certificate issues w/ IIS servers,lync servers,etc. What you're advising here does not account for any private keys.

The CORRECT was to go about this would be as follows:

Open MMC

Add certificates snap-in

manage certs for computer

find SMS cert and delete it

re-start SMS agent host

This will achieve the desired result w/o trashing your other certificates in the process. This post should either be amended or removed. Bad advice.

20. Ralph J Pierleoni says:

Please cancel and issue refund to the credit card I used. Can't make it work.

Ralph

21. Joel says:

¡Brillante! Respaldé toda la carpeta MachineKeys y después la eliminé; Reinicié el servicio SMS Agent Host y el problema fue resuelto. Gracias, llevaba dos días con esto.

22. John Philpott says:

U.R. Wrong's flamboyance aside, they are correct that this is not the correct solution.

The steps U.R. gives are the correct ones, and the SMS cert that should be deleted is:

19c5cf9c7b5dc9de3e548adb70398402_f985961b-8296-47d8-8148-6cd13ba897aa

Then restart the CCM agent service and the certificate will be recreated.

23. Leonardo Padilla says:

In my case it did not work, but it help me, I had to grant System Full Control Permissions to the file and thats solved!!!

In my case there was not any certificate in SMS Certificates on MMC console.

Thanks

24. AB says:

I had a client with the same issue and deleting the RSA –> Machine Keys (19c******) fixed problem.
    Thanks!!

25. Anandha says:

It worked for me but, in my case the GUID has been missing in the SCCM 2007 client and I have tried to backup the Machine keys first and then reinstalled the client again. The client was started showing again on the SCCM console.

Thanks for your help.