Yesterday we release the System Center Mobile Device Manager (MDM) 2008 Resource Kit Tools via the System Center Mobile Device Manager TechNet site. It's kind of hard to find unless you know what you're looking for but here's some info on what's available followed by a link where they can be downloaded:
- MDM Self Service Portal: A Web-based interface that lets users manage their Windows Mobile devices. On this portal, based on settings that you configure, users can enroll their Windows Mobile devices, monitor enrollment status, and wipe managed devices.
- MDM Server Tools: MDM Server Tools provides tools to help administrators manage certificates, bulk pre-enroll Windows Mobile devices for MDM, and completely uninstall an MDM system. The following are tools included in this download:
- MDM Certificate Tool
- MDM Bulk Pre-Enrollment Tool
- MDM Cleanup Tool
- MDM Device Enrollment Cleanup Tool
- MDM Application Hash Code Tool
- MDM Client Tools: MDM Client Tools provides tools to help administrators troubleshoot connections and monitor device synchronization for Windows Mobile devices as part of an MDM system. The following are tools included in this download:
- MDM Connect Now Tool
- MDM VPN Diagnostics Tool
- MDM Best Practices Analyzer Tool: MDM Best Practices Analyzer helps analyze an environment to determine if the prerequisites are met for MDM deployment. It also recommends best practices based on environment configuration. In addition, you can use the tool to help make sure you have configured firewall options to allow MDM Device Management Server and MDM Gateway Server to work together.
For more information and to download the tools see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scmdm/cc304591.aspx.
In case you're new to MDM or just want to learn more about it, here are some places to go to get more information:
Learn About System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008: A Windows Mobile device can become an important enterprise business tool when managed through MDM because of enhanced security of business-critical data, optimized network connectivity, and ease of administration.
Get an Overview of MDM System Architecture Components: MDM consists of four main components – MDM Gateway Server, MDM Device Management Server, MDM Enrollment Server, and Microsoft SQL Server 2005 databases – to make Windows Mobile handheld devices trusted and fully managed members of the enterprise.
Microsoft Webcast: Improve and Simplify Mobile Device Security and Management: Learn how System Center Mobile Device Manager can help improve secure access to corporate data and line-of-business (LOB) applications and simplify management of Windows Mobile devices.
Learn About Devices That Work with Mobile Device Manager: With the proper software updates, these devices can support MDM.
J.C. Hornbeck | Manageability Knowledge Engineer