Now that you have installed System Center 2012 Configuration Manager you may think what else I will need to enhance the Console or perhaps troubleshoot Clients, migrate those legacy packages into the new application model. Here are my top 5 must have add-ons that I will implement on any site. If you want to download the tools simply click on the Title of each Add-on.
This toolkit contains the following tools that are a must have for every ConfigMgr Administrator.
· Client Spy - (CliSpy.exe) is a tool for troubleshooting software distribution, inventory and software metering.
· Deployment Monitoring Tool - (DeploymentMonitoringTool.exe) is a graphical user interface designed to assist in troubleshooting applications, updated and baseline deployments.
· Policy Spy - (PolicySpy.exe) is a tool for viewing and troubleshooting the policy system in the clients.
· Power Viewer Tool - (powervwr.exe) this tool will help administrators view the status of power management feature on clients.
· Send Schedule Tool - (SendSchedule.exe) this tool is used to trigger a schedule on a client or trigger the evaluation of a specified DCM Baseline on client’s remote or locally.
· License Tracking PowerShell Cmdlets - (Get-ConfigMgrAccessLicense) is used to get license usage information for all the servers and clients.
· Security Configuration Wizard Template for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - (ConfigMGrSCW.xml) is an attack-surface reduction tool for Windows Server 2008 R2.
· Role Based Administration Modeling and Auditing Tool - (RBAViewer.exe) This tool will help you analyze and review a role and security scope.
· Run Metering Summarization Tool - (runmetersumm.exe) this tool is used to trigger metering summarization immediately on Primary sites.
More information about the usage of the tool can be found on ToolkitHelp.docx.
On the previous version of this tool we had Trace32.exe. This tool has been replaced with CMTrace.exe and can be found on your installation media under the Tools folder.
Physical to Virtual Migration Toolkit will assist you with the migration of physical servers that you may want to convert to virtual servers. For more information, take a look at this blog Using ConfigMgr Physical to Virtual p2v migration toolkit.
Package Conversion Manager is an add-on to the System Center 2012 Console that will assist you with analyzing the legacy packages that are migrated from previous ConfigMgr versions. This tool will allow you to convert those packages into Applications so you can benefit from the new Application Model. More information on the TechNet Library for Package Conversion Manager
Security Compliance Manager will help you to begin building Compliance Baselines for any given IT Infrastructure where there is a need to ensure systems are compliant with common laws and regulations. SCM will provide a list of Baselines that can be modified to suit your needs and imported into System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Compliance Setting. More Information on the TechNet Library for Security Compliance Manager
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit will integrate with System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, enhancing the Operating System Deployment feature. With this tool integrated, you can take advantage of the scripts and Task Sequence Templates provided with MDT. Check out the MDT Website
That is my Top 5 Add-ons so far. I will create another post if I think of additional Tools that should be added to the list. If you know of any other tools, even if they are from the Community, please mention it in the comments below. I recommend checking http://www.MyITForum.com for additional community tools.