The goal of this post is to compile all publicly announced Office 365 service changes for 2023, especially those that may require admin action, into a single reference. These changes are listed below in chronological order, based on the "Action Required" or "Effective" date. Additional information and resources related to these changes are provided where applicable. Updates will be made to this post as new service changes are announced, or updates to announced changes are provided.
Note: All changes may not have been communicated to your tenant / environment.
- Added Changes to Office 365 ProPlus system requirements - action required by January 10, 2023
- Added Office 365 system requirements changes for Office client connectivity - action required by October 2023
Changes to Office 365 ProPlus system requirements
Action Required by: January 10, 2023
Details: Office 365 ProPlus delivers cloud-connected and always up-to-date versions of the Office desktop apps. To support customers already on Office 365 ProPlus through their operating system transitions, we are updating the Windows system requirements for Office 365 ProPlus and revising some announcements that were made in February. We are pleased to announce the following updates to our Office 365 ProPlus system requirements:
- Office 365 ProPlus will continue to be supported on Windows 8.1 through January 2023, which is the end of support date for Windows 8.1
- Office 365 ProPlus will also continue to be supported on Windows Server 2016 until October 2025
- Updates to Office 365 System Requirements (September 6, 2018)
- Helping customers shift to a modern desktop
Office 365 system requirements changes for Office client connectivity
Action Required by: October 2023
Details: We are modifying the Office 365 services system requirements related to service connectivity. In February, we announced that starting October 13, 2020, customers will need Office 365 ProPlus or Office 2019 clients in mainstream support to connect to Office 365 services. To give you more time to transition fully to the cloud, we are now modifying that policy and will continue to support Office 2016 connections with the Office 365 services through October 2023.
Additional Information: Helping customers shift to a modern desktop