The goal of this post is to compile all announced Office 365 service changes for 2020, especially those that may require admin action, into a single reference. These changes are listed below in chronological order, based on the "Action Required" date. Additional information and resources related to these changes are provided where applicable. Updates will be made to this post as new service changes are announced, or updates to announced changes are provided.
Note: All changes may not have been communicated to your tenant / environment.
- Updated Office 365 system requirements changes for Office client connectivity - added "Office 365 system requirements changes effective 2020" image from Ignite 2017 session
- Added Office 365 system requirements changes for Office client connectivity
Office 365 system requirements changes for Office client connectivity
Action Required by: October 13, 2020
Details: When customers connect to Office 365 with a legacy version of Office, they’re not enjoying all that the service has to offer. The IT benefits—particularly security—are cut short. And the end user experience in the apps is limited to the features shipped at a point in time. To ensure that customers are getting the most out of their Office 365 subscription, we are updating our system requirements.
- Office 365 ProPlus or Office perpetual in mainstream support required to connect to Office 365 services: Starting October 13, 2020, Office 365 ProPlus or Office perpetual in mainstream support will be required to connect to Office 365 services.
- Applies to Office 365 commercial services only: This update does not change our system requirements or support policies for the Office perpetual clients, Office perpetual clients connecting to on-premises servers, or any consumer services.
- More than three years' notice: We're providing more than three years' notice to give IT time to plan and budget for this change. Until this new requirement goes into effect in 2020, Office 2013 and Office 2016 perpetual clients will still be able to connect to Office 365 services.
The slide below is from Ignite 2017 session, BRK2005 - Roadmap for Office 365 client requirements and service connectivity:
- Office 365 ProPlus updates (Office Blog)
- Microsoft Tech Community Discussion
- New upgrade readiness tools for Office 365 ProPlus
- Office 365 ProPlus Deployment Guide
- Microsoft FastTrack Deployment Assistance