Ran into a very weird issue when trying to deploy an image captured with WDS, getting error message ”The operating system couldn't`t be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors"” right after booting.
Following steps have been followed:
1. A boot image was added in WDS (which is a Windows Server 2012)
2. From that image a capture image was made
3. Sysprep was executed with Out of the box experience settings
4. Rebooted the system with Boot from network option
5. Set it to use the capture image
6. captured the system and uploaded it on WDS
7. A new virtual machine was made and set to Boot over network
8. Choose to use the image from step 6.
9. At the end of the install process, after the first reboot, the error shows up: Windows Failed to start. "The operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors"
sysprep logs were fine, however the Windows Boot Manager was complaining about some iaStorA.sys drivers.
These were Intel drivers and even after deploying new ones, the issue persisted.
Tried to recreate the image with DISM, still the same error message.
In the end it seemed like WSUS 6.2 had a problem because after updating to 6.3 the problem got solved and the capture and deployment had no further issues.